Views
Helpful
Replies

POE MODE B ON CISCO IE3300 Series Switch

narshad36
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ...

I am facing an issue.. I have FHF Industrial Phone that accepts 802.3af (Mode B) and 802.3bt (type 3). I have Cisco IE-3300-8U2X-A with Expansion Module IE-3300-8U2X-A. I have supplied 54VDC as Input to Cisco Switch. 

I used the command "power inline four-pair forced" on the interface where phone is connected. But Phone didn't get powered up. 

is 802.3bt is enabled by default? or we have to enable it? if we have to enable it.. shall I use "hw-module Switch UPOE-Plus" command?

Cisco Switch is having IOS XE 17.06.03.

Regards,

NA

17 Replies 17

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello @narshad36 ,

you should have power inline auto configured on the switch port and also CDP/LLDP enabled:

switch#config terminal
switch#interface g0/1/1
switch(config-if)#power inline auto

To enable CDP:

switch#config terminal
switch(config)#cdp run
switch(config#exit

To enable LLDP:

switch#config terminal
switch(config)#lldp run
switch(config#exit

To Verify your configuration:

switch#show power inline

Hope it helps.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Hi Liviu ...

Thank you for sharing the suggestions. Will apply these commands and revert to you

Hi Liviu,

we tested the above commands but not successful. looks like FHF Phone doesn't support LLDP/CDP.

As per Datasheet of IE3300, it supports 802.3bt Type 3 and Type 4. FHF Phone also supports 802.3bt but still its not getting powered up. we have applied command "power inline four-pair forced" still no success. 

any other suggestions please!

pieterh
VIP
VIP

The datasheet only shows 802.3bt only with the 4MU module (no other switch or modules)

Table 5.           Hardware configuration for Cisco Catalyst IE3300 Rugged Series modules

Descriptions

Total ports on expansion module

Copper (RJ45)

100/1000Mbps

PoE/PoE+

100/1000Mbps

SFP

100/1000Mbps

Copper (RJ45)

1GE/2.5G (with up to 802.3bt type 4 PoE)

Total system ports (including expansion module)

IEM-3300-4MU=1

-

-

-

IEM-3300-8T=

-

-

-

IEM-3300-8P=

-

-

-

IEM-3300-8S=

-

-

-

IEM-3300-16T=

-

-

-

IEM-3300-16P=

-

-

-

IEM-3300-6T2S=

-

-

IEM-3300-14T2S=

-

-

Hi Pieterh,

we are using Base Module IE-3300-8U2X-A which as per datasheet supports 802.3bt 4PPOE/8PPOE ports.

pieterh
VIP
VIP

i assume you've checked the wiring is as expected ? (4-data + 4-power = 8 wire  1:1 connected,)
be aware there are two types of cabling standards  EIA/TIA-568A, and  EIA/TIA-568B,

- did you check with a device directly patched into to the switch ?
- what does the console logging show when connecting the device?
  is there anything logged about PD detected ?
- does the PoE leds give any indication ?

Color

PoE Status

Off

PoE is off. If the powered device is receiving power from a non-PoE power source, the port LED is off even if the powered device is connected to the switch port.

Green

PoE is on. The port LED is green only when the PoE port is providing power.

Alternating green and amber

PoE is denied because providing power to the powered device will exceed the switch power capacity.

Flashing amber

PoE is off due to a fault.

Caution

Non-compliant cabling or powered devices can cause a PoE port fault. Use only standard-compliant cabling to connect Cisco pre-standard IP Phones and wireless access points or IEEE 802.3af/at/bt-compliant devices. You must remove any cable or device that causes a PoE fault.

Amber

PoE for the port is disabled. (PoE is enabled by default.)

Hi Pieterh,

on Phone Side wiring is as per T568B. This Phone needs to receive POE Power on spare pair and with 10/100 Mbps Speed.

we did set the Interface speed to 100Mbps and applied command "Power inline four-pair forced" but nothing happened.

When we connected Cisco IP Phone and Access Point on the same switch, it got powered up using POE Power. But this is not the case for Third Party Phone.

>>> we did set the Interface speed to 100Mbps <<<
i guess this is on the switch port ?
if you set the switchport fixed-100, the phone also need to be set fixed-100

and....
- the model of the phone (and link to its documentation) might help
- you did not report anything about the console log ? does it even detect a device has been connected ?

Hi Pieterh,

Phone side its 10/100Mbps. that is why on switch side we set switch port speed to 100Mbps.

Switch doesn't detect that a device has been connected. 

again: what model of phone do you use?
some of these models have an internal switch, where only one port is PoE -> try the other port

pieterh_0-1706542155658.png

The Model is FHF 11442220. the Datasheet is available at below link:

https://www.eaton.com/ae/en-gb/catalog/emergency-communications-systems/fhf-exresisttel-explosionproof-telephone-ip.html#tab-3

this Phone doesn't have two LAN ports. Its having terminals only as shown below:

narshad36_0-1706542390031.png

pieterh
VIP
VIP

thank you that helps

if you set the speed fixed, you implicitly also disable auto mdi/mdi-x (straight or cross detection)
do you have a cross-cable available? 
or can you start anew with default port settings? (only "switchport mode access" + "spanning-tree portfast")

We are using a Cross - cable actually with T568A on Switch side and T568B on the Phone side.

Interface gig 1/5

switchport mode access

spanning-tree portfast

power inline four-pair forced

shut

no shut

The above configuration you are asking to test.

currently switch is a standalone unit, not part of any network. we are using only default VLAN.

hi Pieterh,

I applied above commands but nothing happened. nothing popped up on console messages as well.