cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to license switches via DNA Center

RhysCrane2388
Level 1
Level 1

We are onboarding switches running ios-xe 17.11 using PnP via dnac and they are not automatically being configured for smart licensing using policy. The default smart license transport setting seems to be cslu, and switches get the default call-home profile.

The 9200 smart licensing using policy documentation indicates that dnac as a controller contains the clsu role, so we have set "Connected to CSSM Through a Controller" setting in dnac. According to the 9200L documentation we update this in dnac License Manager or "Smart License Compliance" workflow.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9200/software/release/17-11/configuration_guide/sys_mgmt/b_1711_sys_mgmt_9200_cg/sl_using_policy.html#Cisco_Concept.dita_49090e6d-a304-41f1-b756-c32db71509ad

The swtiches can bee seen in license manager but are not available in the "Smart License Compliance" workflow. We have tested changing it manually on the switch to update the call-home profile and transport method to smart. This could be set up in a template but seems to go around the point of DNA Center.

Under the DNA Center Smart Account settings, we cant check the "Auto register smart license enabled devices" checkbox, the error message stating that it does not work in Smart proxy mode. This feels like this should be automatic during PnP onboarding. Am i missing something?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The old "Smart License" model is quite different from the new "Smart License Using Policy" model.  If you hover over the info button on the Smart License Compliance card it will tell you the requirements to be able to see the devices ready to have SLP enabled.  Netconf is the only configuration requirement needed anymore.  The smart call home config is irrelevant with Smart License Using Policy and DNA. 

The initial Smart License Using Policy workflow cannot be automated, but once you kick it off, DNA takes care of running the reports every quarter automatically.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What DNAC Version, May be try if you get change lowering the IOS XE 17.9.X ?

or Upgrade to DANC to latest version to support newer version of IOS XE.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi BB,

DNAC Version 2.3.5.4-70852-HF3 running on a single XL appliance. We are not able to upgrade to 2.3.5.5 at the moment due to a Holiday change freeze. Unfortunately there are other bugs in ios-xe 17.9.x that pushed us up to 17.11.x on the switches.

I can test a switch downgrade in the lab but its not an option across the rest of the network.

RhysCrane2388
Level 1
Level 1

Hi BB,

Tested a C9200L-24P-4G switch on 17.9.3, its still not available to be licensed in the "Smart License Compliance" workflow.

Some wireless controllers and a single switch i reconfigured manually to run call home licensing are the only ones available.

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The old "Smart License" model is quite different from the new "Smart License Using Policy" model.  If you hover over the info button on the Smart License Compliance card it will tell you the requirements to be able to see the devices ready to have SLP enabled.  Netconf is the only configuration requirement needed anymore.  The smart call home config is irrelevant with Smart License Using Policy and DNA. 

The initial Smart License Using Policy workflow cannot be automated, but once you kick it off, DNA takes care of running the reports every quarter automatically.

Hi Preston,

Thanks for the info, its pointed me in the right direction. I can manually run a "discover" task with netconf selected and the switch will be available to be licensed via the gui workflow after a short time.

Ideally this would be something we could automate when running the PnP and dayN provisioning processes. Ive come across this closed bug ID CSCvu95753, the problem seems to not be a new one.

We include "netconf-yang" in the day0 pnp template, i had hoped there would be a gui/api switch to license devices without a couple of extra manual steps which really reduces the value of dnac when deploying large amounts of gear.

Il send a "make a wish" via dnac help.