Views
Helpful
Replies

Unclaimed Devices in PnP but existing in inventory

Bothwalker
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

i onboarded my switches with pnp nd everything worked fine. 

My Management VLAN is my onboarding vlan. 

I had to make some changes in my design network hierarchy so i deleted the devices an discovered them again 

and assigned them to the sites. 

Now my provisioned devices show up in the pnp overview as unclaimed devices.

Does anyone know, how i can remove the devices from pnp overview?

Cheers

Mathias

12 Replies 12

rasmus.elmholt
Level 7
Level 7

In the PnP View you can just delete them, and they should not show up again.

Deleting them from the PnP does not delete them from the inventory.

Hello Rasmus, 

thank you for the answer. 

This is not working. I get an error message. 

Hi Mathias,

What error message do you get? Maybe we need to take a look in the service logs then.

{
"version": 0,
"deviceInfo": {
"serialNumber": "xxxxx",
"pid": "C9300-24T",
"lastSyncTime": 0,
"addedOn": 0,
"lastUpdateOn": 0,
"firstContact": 0,
"lastContact": 0,
"lastContactDuration": 0,
"state": "Unclaimed",
"onbState": "Initialized",
"cmState": "Not Contacted",
"hostname": "xxxxx",
"reloadRequested": false,
"aaaCredentials": {
"username": "",
"password": ""
},
"populateInventory": false,
"poeSupported": false,
"capwapBackOff": false,
"redirectionState": "NONE",
"dayN": false,
"dayNClaimOperation": "NO_OP",
"tlsState": "NO_OP",
"reProvision": false,
"authOperation": "NO_OP",
"stack": false,
"sudiRequired": false,
"siteClaimType": "Default",
"validActions": {
"editSUDI": true,
"editWfParams": true,
"delete": true,
"claim": true,
"unclaim": true,
"reset": false,
"authorize": false,
"resetMsg": "This device is not in Error state. Only Error devices may be Reset.",
"authorizeMsg": "This Device is not in PendingAuthorization state."
}
},
"workflowParameters": {},
"dayNCmdQueue": [],
"runSummaryList": []
}

Are you trying to reset it or delete it?

I only tried to delete it.

In that case I don't have any input anymore.

Hi Rasmus, I've had a similar problem, and when I delete them from PnP, they keep coming back.

As mentioned by @Preston Chilcote remove the pnp profile from the switch config if the switch is in the inventory correctly.

Double U S
Level 1
Level 1

So I've got the same problem. After succesfully pnp and onboarding of switches I had to delete them from the inventory (due to tshoot CSCwe10508), and discover them again. They end up in unclaimed under PnP and completly OK in inventory.

As  above mentioned i've deleted the unclaimed device. Which I can do without any error. But the switch comes back after a short while. So although the switch is running normaly it still initiates pnp and ends up under unclaimed again. Also treid to merge the device to the invenorty just by claim the devices. But that ends up with an error:.

NCOB04014: Failed to apply configuration on the device. Invalid input in the configuration applied. (PnP Service Error 1413. Invalid input detected)

Which is not weird i guess, because DNA-C detects with it's checks it already has basic config.

I've also combined the delete of the unclaimed device after command on the switch; "pnpa service discovery shutdown".

pnpa service discovery shutdown
PNP-EXEC-NO-OP (1)

%PARSER-5-CFGLOG_LOGGEDCMD: User:<user> logged command:!exec: enable
%PKI-6-TRUSTPOINT_DELETE: Trustpoint: sdn-network-infra-iwan deleted succesfully
%PARSER-5-CFGLOG_LOGGEDCMD: User:dnac-admin logged command:no crypto pki trustpoint sdn-network-infra-iwan

%CRYPTO_ENGINE-5-KEY_DELETED: A key named sdn-network-infra-iwan has been removed from key storage
%PARSER-5-CFGLOG_LOGGEDCMD: User:dnac-admin logged command:crypto key zeroize rsa *
%SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by dnac-admin on vty2 (<dnac IP>)

and after a couple of seconds:

%PARSER-5-CFGLOG_LOGGEDCMD: User:vty4 logged command:no crypto pki certificate pool
%SYS-5-CONFIG_P: Configured programmatically by process XEP_pnp-zero-touch from console as vty4

The device is back as unclaimed and stops at 40% of the onboard process. Ready to be claimed. 

Status Unclaimed
Task: System List Directory task Completed
Onboarding Progress
Initialized

In the customer environment I have a switch in the correct status, i never deleted it from the inventory (first time right ;)). It has the same output for "show pnp task" as the switches with the problem.

Anybody an idea how to go forward?

Regards,

W

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Usually when we see questions about devices in Inventory showing up as Unclaimed, we advise to look for a "pnp profile" command in the network device config.  That's the config that the pnp-agent populates with the IP of the Cisco DNA appliance and tries to establish a new connection every 5 seconds.  It can be safely removed once the device is in Inventory.

Hi!

Thanks, that did the trick!

Regards,

W