cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Proximity Lifecycle and Support/EoL timelines etc.

Stephanie Knoop
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can anyone advise if this application is:

a) supported

b) currently being developed

c) Proximity App (stand-alone) versus Webex Desktop App Proximity

I was told years ago to stop using Proximity in favor of Desktop App.  I have found that the Desktop App and Webex Meet mobile app proximity are far more reliable (find connections and keep connections to endpoints better). 

However, just this week 2 users have asked me about the stand alone App and I don't know if I should continue to support it.

I have also noted that the mobile App for Android has not been updated since 2016, adding to my reticence. 

Thank you.

Response Signature
2 Replies 2

mneergaa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

a) It's not in a situation where we have resources to support it much, but that might improve in the future. For now, there's this forum. The CE software feature is fully supported by the CE software team.

b) App development has been suspended a while, but we are currently actively developing new features.

c) The Proximity app is a stand-alone app that doesn't require user login and uses less system resources. If you are using the Webex Teams desktop app, however, there is are few incentives for you to install Cisco Proximity.

The Android app is discontinued because there was no real user base. The iOS app is likely to follow in its footsteps.

But yeah, to sum this up, the Cisco Proximity desktop app hasn't been very actively maintained the last couple of years. You'll see some nice new features there soon, though.

mmihalyf
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee