Views
Helpful
Replies

Add New From Template - Using Template to Add new Phone

msmalik
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I am trying to Simplify the onboarding process using Universal Device Template.

Everything is working as it should, except if i select a user for the phone at the time of Adding a new phone, it picks up the Meeting Number from the User profile and assigns it as the DN to Line 1 and ignores the DN I have selected. 

In the example of the pictures attached, I selected;
Directory Number (Line 1) = 3100
User = Txxxx 

The user has a Meeting Number 1227 ( which is his previous DN )

When the phone is provisioned, it assigns DN on Line 1 as 1227 rather than 3100.

Anyway, I can avoid it so that the Meeting Number of the user selected doesn't avoid the DN I choose. 

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Wouldn't simply clearing the meeting number before you provision the device for the user resolve your problem?

Response Signature

Thanks for replying Roger.

Does it sync the meeting number from AD? where to clear it?

Is there any way to block it altogether, so it doesn't over right the DN selected?

it gets confusing for the less-technical guys doing on-boarding.

Cheers 

The meeting number gets set on the end user object at the time when Primary Extension is set. If a user does not have this set, as for a brand new user, it would not be set. So for these you should not have this issue. The reason for why this happens to this user at provision is likely because it had an extension before. If you clear out Primary Extension it should clear out Meeting Number as well.

Response Signature

It might be worthwhile to use the Quick User/Phone Add under the User Management menu to add a phone instead of Device > Phone > Add New.

That allows you to add a DN (add existing or create new from a Universal Line Template) to a new or existing User (and selecting exactly the number you want), and then adding devices to a new or existing user once a DN is assigned.

I've been looking for a concise resource for using this menuing for users, DNs, and phones. I taught this method in my classes and folks liked it a lot. I don't have a white paper or video on it, though, that is publicly available. It's not rocket science, though. Give it a try and let us know if you have questions.

Maren

Thanks for your response Maren.

Yes, that is an option.

But i believe this won't work in my particular case, the reason being I want on-boaring people to choose a phone template so that they don't make mistakes with selecting css, location, device pool, etc.. we have more than 15 sites so this has become an issue where they keep on selecting wrong css, etc. 

On the contrary, that is exactly what Universal Device Templates are designed to do. It is a template that can be used regardless of what type of device (model, protocol, hard/soft, even EM profiles) you are trying to create. You'd create one template per site with all of the correct settings (DP, CSS, etc.). Any type of device built for that site can use the template for that site. This is what makes it different than standard phone templates which are model/protocol specific.

Take a look. I think you won't be sorry.

Maren