Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Experts

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Read the bioWith Maqsood Mushtaq

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn about Jabber Clients with Cisco expert Maqsood Mushtaq.

Maqsood Mushtaq is a software engineer at Cisco in the Clients and Mobility Business Unit in Galway. Currently he provides support/bug fixes for Cisco Unified Personal Communicator (UPC) 8.x and Cisco UC Integration for Microsoft Office Communicator/Lync as well as Cisco Jabber for Windows. This includes setup, configuration, tracking customer feedback, and maintenance releases. He has over three and half years of experience in working with Cisco Unified Communications applications, including work as a developer on Visual Voicemail for Cisco IP Phones, Cisco Phone Designer, and Cisco UPC 8.x. He has also worked with Java MIDlets, C#, .NET, Windows Presentation Foundation, and InstallShield.

Remember to use the rating system to let Maqsood know if you have received an adequate response. 

Maqsood might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Collaboration, Voice and Video sub-community   discussion forum shortly after the event. This event lasts through June 15, 2012. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

97 Replies 97

Hi Maqsood,

It seems to be on Windows 8 only.  I checked W7 and it's fine. What's the best way for me to know once it has been addressed? 

Thanks again,

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I think the best way would be to keep an eye on the major releases. Once Support for Windows 8 is announced, retest this.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Hi Maqsood,

Is there a possibility to disable the confirmation dialog for Jabber URI dialing? (Like in webdialer: Do not display call confirmation dialog)

(Maybe thread is still active, I posted the same question in the general forum...)

Walter

bill.roland
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Maqsood,

Will Cisco include support for JID Escaping XEP-0106 (http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0106.html) in the next release of Cisco Jabber for Windows?  I would imagine this is a major issue for a lot of users.  I believe Cisco has an open defect on this: CSCtz76102.  Thanks.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Jabber for Windows team has resolved JID escaping defect CSCtz76102. This fix will be available in the first maintenance release of Jabber for Windows. I do not have a release date for this but it is targeted for early to mid June at the moment.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Thanks Maqsood, that's terrific news!

Bill

Hi Bill,

First maintenance release of Jabber for Windows (9.0.2-9453) is now availble for download from cisco.com.

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=284324806&flowid=3220

Thanks,

Maqsood

charris1589
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Maqsood,

I have a potential client who is very interested in a full scale Cisco solution including WebEx, Jabber presence/IM client, Video and the Business Edition 3000. 

They have one very important concern however and I haven't been able to find a way to address it so I'm hoping you can help me.

Their entire organization is mobile and for that reason they use Microsoft Terminal Services for all access to their company applications and files (they have been very happy with this set-up and are not willing to change).  Additionally, they don't currently have or want a VPN.  From my understanding the Cisco desktop applications their interested in aren't supported in Microsoft Terminal Services but still may work.

Are you aware if these applications would work in their environment?

Also, does Cisco have any plans in the near future to support their applications in Microsoft Terminal Services?

Thanks,

Casey

Hi Casey,

Jabber for Windows team did not do any QA work on Microsoft Terminal Services. Therefore I cannot comment if Jabber for Windows (along with other Cisco products) will work on MS Terminal Services and if it works at all what will be the quality of the products. There is no formal support for Jabber for Windows under terminal services. Also there are no committed plans for testing/supporting Jabber for Windows on MS Terminal Services.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Dear Maqsood Mushtaq

One of our customer is planning to Configure Unified Communication Manager Directory Integration in a Multi- Forest Environment. I had checked that CUCM and Unity Connection support multi forsest directory integration. I would like to know if jabber for windows also support Multi forest directory integration.

Regards,

Krishna.

Hi Krishna,

Current release of Cisco Jabber for Windows supports integration with the following directory services:

Cisco Unified Communications Manager User Data Service - UDS (CUCM 8.6.2 or later)

UDS provides a directory service on Cisco Unified Communications Manager. You synchronize contact data into Cisco Unified Communications Manager from Microsoft Active Directory or other LDAP directory source. Cisco Jabber for Windows then automatically retrieves that contact data directly from Cisco Unified Communications Manager using the UDS interface.

If you have configured Unified Communication Manager Directory Integration in a Multi-forest Environment then Jabber for Windows will be able to get the user information from a different forest via Cisco Unified Communications Manager using UDS.

Enhanced Directory Integration (EDI)

EDI uses native Microsoft Windows APIs to retrieve contact data from Microsoft Active Directory. If you install Cisco Jabber for Windows on a workstation that is registered to an Active Directory domain, Cisco Jabber for Windows automatically discovers the directory service, authenticates and connects to a Global Catalog in the domain.

In a Multi-forest directory integration environment Cisco Jabber for Windows will need to point to the same AD LDS (ADAM) server as CUCM for directory information. We have not called out the support for AD LDS in the current release as QA work is in progress for Jabber for Windows and AD LDS server. Once the QA work is complete, we will update the Jabber for Windows administration guide with this information.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Hello Maqsood,

do you have some update accrding LDS?

We have some problem with DesktopControl mode in Jabber for Windows when authenticated with Microsoft LDS.

CUCM -  9.1.2.10000-28 Unrestricted

CUPS  - 9.1.1.31900-1

Jabber for Windows - 9.6.0 ver 17088. (9.2 has same problem)

When trying to change mode from Softphone (which is working fine) to DesktopControl Mode (with CP-8945) it simply fails with following CTI error in Jabber logs:

rc\deskphoneprovider\DPProvider.cpp(502)] [csf.ecc] [HandleEvent_ProviderOpenCompleted] - ProviderOpen failed: reason: 0x8ccc0060, Directory login failed - authentication failed.

User which is used is LDAP synchronized with MS LDS directory (due multiforest Microsoft AD structure). When converting user to local user - everything is working OK (DesktopControl over CTI is working). So, it means that usual basic configuration (CTI Control checkbox under user and phone are enabled, user has CTI and End user rights and so on..).

When using CP-7942 situation is same.

Hi Maqsood,

I'm currently facing a major pb in an EDI Jabber 9.0.4 or 9.0.5 Installation where the key requirement is to be able to resolve active directory users and also the AD contacts informations under the contacts container.

Jabber currentlty find the AD Users, but not contacts in the AD under the same global tree.  After some investigations, some Cisco guys told me that it should work, and some others told me that it is a bug.

What do you think about, and what are todays limitations or critical bugs concerning contacts integrations in Jabber ?

PS: I mean contacts and not AD users.

Thank you,

Jacky

Hi Jacky,

AD contacts search will be a new feature request. This was not tested by QA nor it was in the requirements for client. There is a possible workaround to search for AD contacts. However please note that anything you will do around AD contacts search may or may not have unknown implications and there will be no TAC support in this area.

- From machine where Jabber is running, do a search for AD contact and take a wireshark trace.

- From wireshark trace check the searchresultentry if it contains the contact you searched.

- If the contact is returned note the attribute in the query e.g. CN, sAMAccountName e.t.c

- In jabber-config.xml file add and attribute "UserAccountName" and set its value to above attribute e.g.

cn

- Restart Jabber.

Warning: "UserAccountName" attribute is used for other purposes e.g.

• To integrate with OpenLDAP 
  • Specify custom attribute mapping in jabber-config.xml file for CUCM integration with AD (e.g. employeeID or mail). By default CUCM uses sAMAccountName attribute to integrate with Active Directory.

If AD is integrated with CCM, this will change the IM address to the value specified in "UserAccountName". Depending on your setup this may have other unknown/undesirable effects.

Using above workaround Jabber for Windows can search for AD contacts (On-prem deployment) but they cannot be added to the contact list. At the moment client only allows to add contacts that are CUP enabled.

If the AD contact search issue is important for your organization, then I suggest to open an enhancement request via Cisco TAC.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Hi Jacky,

Based on your feedback and the feedback from some TAC cases, I have opened a feature request to add the support for Active Directory contacts.

CSCuc11684 : Search and add AD contacts to contact list.

Thanks,

Maqsood