Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot IM a contact from Outlook. Doesnt resolve JID

Ben Morgan
Level 3
Level 3

Guys,

Have Jabber deployed with version 12.5.1. Works well. However, from within Outlook, Email senders / recipients names are showing offline. When click 'IM' the Jabber chat window doesnt resolve the JID to the display name.

The JID is samaccountname@domain

I see the JID coming through in logs as the email address of the user, hence not matching any configured JID.

How would I force the JID to use sameaccountname@domain from outlook.?

Or alternatively, I can change the JID to URI (which is the email address). However when I do this.. because the PCs are domain joined.. the Jabber auto discovers the service using the users samaccountname.. Is there an install flag to set to for the JID to the the email address or URI?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The answer to this depends whether you plan on having macOS in your environment.

If you only need to support Windows, add a URI to the user’s proxyAddresses attribute in Active Directory. SIP:samaccountname@domain.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/12_6/cjab_b_feature-configuration-cisco-jabber_12-6/cjab_b_feature-configuration-cisco-jabber_12-6_chapter_0110.html#JABW_TK_E83CC0F0_00

If you also want to support Outlook for Mac the only option, thanks MS, is to have the JID match the email address. For that you would need to toggle IM&P into multi-domain mode. A few tips not in the document:
1. Verify all of your enabled users actually have an email address in the mail attribute to avoid deprovisioning people. A BAT export of End Users would let you easily spot this in CUCM.
2. Add an LDAP Filter of (mail=*@domain) so you don’t accidentally suck in a contractor with an external email address. Every new domain will trigger an alarm on IM&P to regenerate certificates and restart XCP Router to support the new domain.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/im_presence/configAdminGuide/12_0_1/cup0_b_config-admin-guide-imp-1201/cup0_b_config-admin-guide-imp-1201_chapter_0101.html#CUP0_RF_D75EA4EF_00

Thanks mate..

I did have the URI@domain set as the JID initially, but I found the corporate PCs auto discover the 'jabber services'. Where traditionally, the user would have to enter their email address to discover the services for the domain..  so the PC is sending across samaccountname@domain..  So i returned the JID back to default being sameaccountname@domain so the users name would display correctly on the Jabber client.

Is there a way around the above, as I believe if I can have clients using their email address, this would solve my problems..

Yes, there are MAC Clients on this network aswell..

Thanks

Ben

Those are two separate features. Service Discovery will use the UPN by default for domain users (there is an MSI flag to disable it, though I don’t recommend it). It’s only using the right hand side of the UPN, or email address supplied manually, for DNS SRV record resolution. That’s independent of the user’s actual JID.

Also, multi-domain is not the same thing as URI@default.presence.domain. In multi-domain mode the entire JID is whatever the Directory URI is (typically email). The default presence domain is no longer in the JID at all.