cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CER Alerting VPN'd Jabber as Missing Phone

Curtis Trudeau
Level 1
Level 1

We have a few Jabber users that will connect after hours using VPN.  CER detects these jabber devices without issue.  I added the VPN subnet to CER and checked do not track in hopes CER would ignore these devices, but every time the discovery runs we get the switch-port change email alert with the VPN'd jabber devices listed as missing.  Even after the user disconnects and jabber unregisters, we continue to get the alert at every discovery until the end of the day (every 30 minutes).  Is there a way to get CER to stop considering these as missing phones? Or at least ignore them after they unregister?

per the admin guide: "A missing Cisco Unified IP Phone is one that is registered in Cisco Unified Communications Manager but is not found behind a switch port of any switch tracked by Emergency Responder."

CUCM 11.5.1

CER 11.5.3

Jabber 12.6

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It seems that you are hitting CER software bug.

CER incorrectly maps jabber device name to mac-address
CSCvk66726
Description
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Symptom:
When we track roaming jabber devices, multiple entries for same device will show in CER.
Conditions:
CER 11.5 and above since CER uses AXL to track wireless endpoints.
Workaround:
None
Further Problem Description:
Known Affected Releases: (1)
11.5(4.50000.6)

Please rate helpful posts and if applicable mark "Accept as a Solution".
Thanks, Vaijanath S.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Vaijanath Sonvane
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In CER, there is no option to sort out Cisco IP Phone vs Jabber mail notification. It is common for all devices. 

If CER is tracking devices based on CAM table then find out which switch contains MAC address entries of these VPN Jabber devices. You can then disable CAM based Phone Tracking for this particular switch in CER Administration.

Thanks, Vaijanath S.

@Vaijanath Sonvane wrote:

If CER is tracking devices based on CAM table then find out which switch contains MAC address entries of these VPN Jabber devices. You can then disable CAM based Phone Tracking for this particular switch in CER Administration.

Thanks for the info.  We are not tracking these devices via a switch.  I only have the VPN IP subnet configured in CER with do not track selected.

I did discover something new today.  A user connected jabber via VPN early in the morning. Now in the afternoon CER still lists that phone in the VPN subnet when i click view phones.  This user disconnected from the VPN hours ago, and has since come into the office and registered their jabber on a different subnet.  I have the switch port and phone update scheduled to run at midnight each day and the incremental updates every 30 minutes.  Should it be removing the phone from the VPN subnet list when it updates every 30 minutes?

It seems that you are hitting CER software bug.

CER incorrectly maps jabber device name to mac-address
CSCvk66726
Description
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Symptom:
When we track roaming jabber devices, multiple entries for same device will show in CER.
Conditions:
CER 11.5 and above since CER uses AXL to track wireless endpoints.
Workaround:
None
Further Problem Description:
Known Affected Releases: (1)
11.5(4.50000.6)

Thanks, Vaijanath S.

Thanks! This does look like the case.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: