cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber Takes Unified Communications and Collaboration to New Heights for PC, Mac, Tablets and Smart Phones

meconley
Level 5
Level 5

Cisco today announced the release of Cisco Jabber, a unified communications application that brings together presence, instant messaging, voice and video, voice messaging, desktop sharing and conferencing into a single consistent experience across PCs, Macs, tablets and smart phones. Jabber provides a simple way for business workers to easily and securely find the right people, to see if and on what device they are available, and to collaborate using their preferred method or device.

Cisco Jabber, which is scheduled to roll out to Mac users starting this summer will provide users with a unified client they can deploy across on-premise and cloud-based options. With Jabber, users can easily and seamlessly escalate from an IM conversation to a voice, video or desktop sharing interaction on the fly. Additionally, users can have immediate access and utilize these capabilities whether they are in or out of the office.

Announcement Highlights

Interoperability

Cisco Jabber uses the industry-standard Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) for presence and IM. With Jabber's interoperability, employees from one company can interact with employees at other companies using applications from Google, IBM. Microsoft and AOL. Further increasing user acceptance and adoption, Cisco Jabber provides integration with Microsoft Office productivity applications so users can see a colleague's availability status, and quickly escalate communications to an instant message, phone call or conference from within the application.

Mobility Capabilities

Mobile users will enjoy a variety of communication capabilities including presence, IM, voice over WiFi, and visual voicemail. Using Jabber technology, a business user can use a single work line for their desk phone, wireless device and desktop computer -- and can make and receive enterprise calls on the device over a Wi-Fi connection. This adds to the existing capability available over a cellular network.

Video Capabilities

Standards-based H.264, high-definition (HD) resolution enables users to interoperate in HD with Cisco TelePresence and other industry video solutions.
Users also benefit from multiparty, continuous presence video so one can simultaneously see multiple video users during group or team communications sessions. These integrated video capabilities are scheduled to be available in the second half of 2011.

READ FULL PRESS RELEASE for more details.

********************************* FOR MORE DETAILS  *****************************************

Visit the Cisco at Enterprise Connect Virtual Experience to watch:

• Laurent Philonenko, VP, GM and CTO of the Cisco Unified Communications Business Unit, give an overview of the collaborative workspace product announcements
  • the Cisco Enterprise Connect Keynote.  Get a Cisco Collaboration strategy update, hear about the new product announcements, and watch an innovative technology demonstration.  Register Now
  • demonstrations of newly announced products filmed in the Cisco booth at Enterprise Connect Orlando

************************ ASK QUESTIONS TO OUR PRODUCT EXPERTS *****************

Please post any questions or comments about these announcements.  Our Cisco product experts are on the community hoping to hear from you!

Message was edited on April 19, 2013:  Lisa Marcyes from the Cisco Collaboration Community Team added community category and tags for greater ease in filtering (no change to content).

11 Replies 11

bjames
Level 5
Level 5

Megan,

So where is it, I went to download it and can't find it. None of the presentations say when it will be available....

Thanks,

Bob James

Hi Bob,

Cisco Jabber for Android and for Nokia will both be available in April, and Jabber for Mac will be available during the first half of this calendar year. We'll make announcements as the specific Jabber apps are available for download on cisco.com and various app stores.

Thanks,

Mark

Collaboration Marketing

Thanks Mark,

Bummer

Bob James

james.hackett
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Are there any details available on the licensing of this product?

thanks

James.

The price varies based on the deployment option and the pricing model used. Cisco Jabber is an optional component available with Cisco Unified Workspace Licensing.  For PC and Mac clients, al la carte licensing is the same as Unified Personal Communicator and WebEx Connect.

Hi,

The solution talks about desktop sharing. How is that handled? Do you have to implement meetingplace for this, or use WebEx?

Thanks

Desktop share is a peer to peer capability to quickly share your desktop in a native client experience without the need for a WebEx host account.

So will this be included without the need for WebEx in the new Cisco Jabber client much like the Connect client?

Thanks

Srini

Yes, but initially only when you use the SaaS deployment model (WebEx Connect).  Mike

Hi everyone,

There has been a lot of questions and excitement around the Cisco Jabber announcement so I sat down with a product expert, Mike Fratesi, and asked him a few questions about it.

Let me know if this format is helpful and we can do more of these on the community overall -- I could even tell you ahead of time that I'm going to do it and let you submit your questions to ask him.  I encourage you to ask Mike more questions.  We appreciate the interest!

Video Link : 7406

Laura Douglas

Your Collaboration Community Manager

FYI… I am moving this post within the Collaboration Community (from the Cisco Enterprise Connect Virtual Launch Experience 2011 space to the Unified Communications space) due to the Cisco Enterprise Connect Virtual Launch Experience 2011 retiring.  This is great content so if you have not viewed it, I encourage you to review now.

Joanne LeBlanc

Collaboration Community Team

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: