Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber with Cisco Shared Multiparty Plus Licenses

Vaijanath Sonvane
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I am looking for a Video Conferencing Solution for approximately 4000 employees. Currently the customer is using Cisco Jabber for Point-to-Point Video calls. The main requirement is Ad-Hoc Video Conferencing by any employee at any time. I looked at both Cisco Meeting Server and Cisco TelePresence Server. Both solution requires either Personal Multiparty Plus or Shared Multiparty Plus Licenses. The customer do not want to purchase a PMP license for each individual user. Their requirement is shared media resources so that any employee can initiate a ad-hoc conference.

Now the question is: can we use Cisco Jabber with Shared Multiparty Licenses?

Thanks,

Vaijanath S

Please rate helpful posts and if applicable mark "Accept as a Solution".
Thanks, Vaijanath S.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, that is absolutely possible.

The only oddity is with PMP+ which enforces slightly differently than Conductor/vTS. This doesn't seem to be relevant to your use case since you intend to purchase solely SMP+ licenses. As of the CMS 2.0(1) release, PMP+ licenses - which are cheaper than SMP+ - are only consumed if: a) the Space is owned by an LDAP user with a PMP+ license assigned to them; or, b) if an LDAP user with PMP+ assigned to them joins a space from the Cisco Meeting App as an authenticated user. In all other scenarios, including ad-hoc escalation with CUCM an SMP+ license is consumed. This is different than Conductor/vTS which were also able to figure out the user entitlement for ad-hoc calls.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

An SMP+/PMP+ license is not a substitute for an UCL/UWL license which is required for Jabber to register as a soft phone to CUCM. With that disclaimer in place, yes Jabber can be used with an SMP+/PMP+ license. The SMP+/PMP+ is for the conference bridge, not the endpoint a user is leveraging to join. A user could use the CMS App, Jabber, a DX-80, or whatever system they have. The endpoint isn't part of the algorithm.

PS- Cisco intends the Cisco Meeting Server to replace/superceed the Conductor/TelePresence Server product. There are a few small feature gaps but as-hoc conference escalation for CUCM is supported in CMS 2.0.

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your response. The customer has the CUWL licenses for Cisco Jabber. All the jabber endpoints are registered to Cisco UCM and point-to-point video conference works fine. As I understood from your response I can use SMP+ licenses on CMS 2.0 for Cisco Jabber application. To relate it to the customer scenario I can share 10 SMP+ licenses for 4000 employees to host 10 shared conference rooms. Am I right?

Your response is much appreciated. Thank You.

Thanks,

Vaijanath S

Thanks, Vaijanath S.

Yes, that is absolutely possible.

The only oddity is with PMP+ which enforces slightly differently than Conductor/vTS. This doesn't seem to be relevant to your use case since you intend to purchase solely SMP+ licenses. As of the CMS 2.0(1) release, PMP+ licenses - which are cheaper than SMP+ - are only consumed if: a) the Space is owned by an LDAP user with a PMP+ license assigned to them; or, b) if an LDAP user with PMP+ assigned to them joins a space from the Cisco Meeting App as an authenticated user. In all other scenarios, including ad-hoc escalation with CUCM an SMP+ license is consumed. This is different than Conductor/vTS which were also able to figure out the user entitlement for ad-hoc calls.

Thanks Jonathan.

Thanks, Vaijanath S.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: