Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco unity LinuX VM need maintenance?

Ahmed Tarek
Level 3
Level 3

dear all,

i have a question , dose Cisco unity connection (CUC)`s vm machine (Linux OS ) need maintenance? or even any other voip server use Linux OS? 

as usual we install any version from voip products in VM via bootable link and then no action is required after installation for Linux OS, so i mean:-

- is there any maintenance for this Linux VM to backup ( not Veeam Backup - or snapshot ) ?

- how to check stability or security issues for this operation system, duo to Nessus server some times scan and found some vulnerabilities in OS not GUI application.

4 Replies 4

The operating system, known as CVOS (Cisco Voice Operation System), is a locked down version of either RHEL or CentOS. This get updated by upgrading to a new version by a non-bootable ISO file or if there are defects that can be corrected by a COP file. Checking for security defects is best done by subscribing to notifications from Cisco, but you could also check on their security advisories page(s).

On the backup part, you can not use snapshots, so Veem is out of the question because of this, as Cisco do not support using snapshots as that puts a heavy tole on the performance of the file system. There is a a backup option built into the system called DRS, it backups the database and some file system level files that is needed for the restore.

Response Signature

Like other voice applications which run  on Linux you don't need patch updates on the Linux levels. Upgrading the CUC versions will do that job.

I have voice applications running on linux which we installed and we do upgrade the underlying linux od apply patch  when ever the scanner report any vulnerability.

But I never received vulnerability mentioned by the  scanner regarding underlying Linux of CUCM and CUC.But i used to get  mails regarding the Application vulnarability.

Response Signature

Ahmed Tarek
Level 3
Level 3

thanks a lot for your support,

i have another question, how to upgrade VMware Tools for Linux ?

pls see attached image