Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 15 and Jabber 12.x clients

raziel1978kain
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we have a CUCM 11.x with several Jabber 12.x clients, and we are going to upgrade the CUCM to version 15.

We would like to know if it is possible to use these Jabber 12.x clients with the CUCM 15, without upgrading them to version 14.x.

Are they supported or, at least, do they simply work (limited to the common features between the CUCM 11.x and the CUCM 15)?

Please let us know.

TIA and regards.

6 Replies 6

Vaijanath Sonvane
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @raziel1978kain ,

As per below compatibility matrix, CUCM 15 requires Cisco Jabber version to be on minimum 14.3 release. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/unified/communications/system/Compatibility/CSR-Compatibility-Matrix-InteractiveHTML.html

CUCM version 14 doesn't specify minimum version of Jabber which indicates 12.5 version is supported on it. I would recommend to test Jabber version 12.5 on CUCM version 15 in lab or development environment to see if it works and which features/functionality is limited. 

Is there any reason you want to stick to Jabber version 12.5?

Please rate helpful posts and if applicable mark "Accept as a Solution".
Thanks, Vaijanath S.

Hello @Vaijanath Sonvane,

we have several Jabber clients to upgrade, so we would like to gradually upgrade them after the CUCM upgrade, if possible.

Regards.

If the minimum version is 14.3, then the minimum version is 14.3. Then it should be clear, that you need to upgrade the Jabbers before the upgrade. Should be logical ..

Hello @b.winter,

I know that the compatibility matrix states that the minimum/recommended version is 14.3, but in the past we have experienced many cases in which the phones worked anyway with older, unsupported firmware versions; so, we would like to know if the Jabber could work in this scenario, too.

If anyone of the community had found himself in a similar scenario, it could be useful for us to know his experience; otherwise, we will try to test it in a lab environment.

Regards.

I didn't say, that it won't work.
I just said, the minimum supported version is 14.3.
"Not supported" doesn't necessarily mean "not working". There is a big difference.
But "not supported" means, you are running the environment at your own risk.

In your case, I'm 99% sure, that Jabber will work.
But I personally would never run an environment at the customer site, which is not supported (only if the customer gives me a written confirmation). If something breaks, then TAC won't help you.

Vaijanath Sonvane
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @raziel1978kain,

Yes, you are right that the phones with older firmware worked with new CUCM version without any major issues and it is possible that Jabber 12.5 can work too. But there is little information available and the best option to confirm is to test in lab environment.

Please do let us know your findings. 

Please rate helpful posts and if applicable mark "Accept as a Solution".
Thanks, Vaijanath S.