Views
Helpful
Replies

_cuplogin DNS SRV records for Jabber 11.8 and later

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hello,

I am in the middle of deploying Jabber and MRA for a customer and want to know if the _cuplogin DNS SRV records are still required.

Versions deployed are:

CUCM 11.5(1)SU3b

CUP 11.5(1)SU2

Expressway X8.10.3

Jabber for Windows 11.8.5

Jabber for iPad 11.9

Everything seems to work ok internally but having issues with MRA. I understand that retrieves the _cisco-uds and _cuplogin records when logging in.

Is it still best practice to configure the _cuplogin records?

7 Replies 7

Keith Fulcher
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

According to the Jabber Guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_9/cjab_b_planning-guide-for-cisco-jabber/cjab_b_planning-guide-for-cisco-jabber_chapter_0100.html?bookSearch=true

Cisco Jabber release 9.6 and later can still discover full Unified Communications and IM-only services using the_cuplogin DNS SRV request but a _cisco-uds request will take precedence if it is present.

The MRA Flow:

1. The client queries the external domain name server for SRV records.

2. The name server returns the _collab-edge SRV record and does not return the _cuplogin or _cisco-uds SRV records.
As a result, Cisco Jabber can locate the Cisco Expressway-E server.

3. The client requests the internal SRV records (through Expressway) from the internal domain name server.
These SRV records must include the _cisco-uds SRV record.

4. The client obtains the internal SRV records (through Expressway).
As a result, the client can locate the Cisco Unified Communications Manager server.

5. The client requests the service profiles (through Expressway) from Cisco Unified Communications Manager.

6. The client retrieves the service profiles (through Expressway) from Cisco Unified Communications Manager.
The service profile contains the user's home cluster, the primary source of authentication, and the client configuration.

The URL is fail.

If you read the URLs you can see that they reference the Planning Guide and the Release Notes for Jabber. Do a Google search for your version of Jabber along with those phrases and you should find the current versions of both.

Maren

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You *should* only require the _cisco-uds SRV for full UC, phone-only or IM only as now CUCM is the one that has what services a Jabber user will have via the Service Profile, but I prefer to always configure the _cuplogin as a backup. No harm in having it configured.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Cyril Albert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Please take also care to the version you are using between CUCM and IM&P. Both should run SU3...

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/11_5_1/SU3/cucm_b_release-notes-cucm-imp-1151su3/cucm_b_release-notes-cucm-imp-1151su3_chapter_01.html#reference_FC516F17C85304AA0F161B28E0652FE8

It should not directly have an impact on your issue but if you engage TAC it could be better.

HTH

Cyril

good for reference.

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

First of all your deployment is not supported. CUCM 11.5SU3 requires IM and P 11.5SU3. They both must be on SU3.

Secondly I am going to advise you against deploying IM and P 11.5su3 especially with expressway. We just upgraded to this version and it broke IM and P functionality for three regions! Our case has been escalated to DE and the BU. This code version with expressway causes the xcp services to core. In a nut shell the presence engine and xcp services locks up and we have been rebooting to get around this. This has been ongoing for over two weeks now and Cisco DE and BU still dont have a solution. 

Thirdly in most deployments with full UC I don't see why you need cup login srv. Its not used any more and I have to remove it in one of my deployment recently because for dome strange reason jabber was routing xmpp traffic to the entries in cup login srv rather than the service profile. In one word you don't need it, so why add it? 

Please rate all useful posts