cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Discussion about jabber client registration (CUCM vs Presence)

goranpilat
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

Recently I installed presence 10.5.2 for the first time. Before that I had my Jabber for Iphone and Windows registered without presence to CUCM as softphone. So when I added presence to the cluster, only thing I had to do is "Asign Presence Users" and on each end user "Enable User for Unified CM IM and Presence". And only with that I had my users set on presence, able to watch each other's presence status and sending IM.

No trunks were required and none of the configuration steps that were necessary before with previous CUCM/presence when the CUCP/Jabber was connected to CUCM through Presence. I am aware that this is minimal configuration and that for any additional integration with unity conn, chatrooms and what not additional steps would be necessary. But for the minimal config to make it work this was enough.

SO my question is, what is the approach for this? Register jabber to CUCM or to presence? what is really the difference? Is Cisco leaning towards registering jabbers directly to CUCM? What motivation would I have to register them old-fashionly through Presence (except enjoying huge number of configuration steps)?

thanks for any clarification or thoughts on this

Goran

3 Replies 3

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Goran,

I think the answer lies in the IM&P product info page:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/unified-communications/unified-presence/index.html

Cisco Unified Presence technology has been integrated with Cisco Unified Communications Manager for Release 9.0 and later. All the features and capabilities of Cisco Unified Presence 8.6 are now part of the Cisco Unified Communications Manager.

With this integral component of the Cisco Unified Communications system, you can:

• Facilitate faster decision making and enhance productivity using presence awareness to view the availability of your colleagues and reduce communications delays.
  • See the availability of partners and customers in other organizations and exchange instant messages with them.
  • Simultaneously support Cisco Unified Communications and standards-based XMMP clients with this dual-protocol platform that natively supports both SIP/SIMPLE and XMMP on a single software appliance.
  • Speed up your business processes and improve first-call resolution and customer satisfaction by providing availability information and communication capabilities in existing web and business applications.
  • Meet business requirements with enhanced enterprise IM capabilities such as group chat, persistent chat, IM logging, IM history, and compliance.

Manish

Hi Manish,

Tnx so much for your answer. Are you saying that from version 9.0->, registration of jabber through Presence is not the way of doing it anymore? That jabber should be connected directly to CUCM?

In that sense, on jabber, when signing in through advanced settings (where I can choose automatic, webex messenger, IM&Presence, CUCM8 or CUCM9), I shouldn't - mustn't - couldn't choose IM&Presence?

also , does this make DNS SRV record _cuplogin._tcp.example.com obsolete?

My question is: is with >9.X versions the only way of registering jabber directly through CUCM, or can it still be done through Presence and what is the practical difference?

Tnx again

I am going to give it a shoot here (Jabber Login). It varies depending on deployment model

Condition:

CUCM (9.x or above) is LDAP Authenticated with IM&P cluster (No Phone-Only), No SSO, with DNS SRV "_cisco-uds._tcp.<domain> pointing to CUCM, No MRA (Mobile Remote Access) and Jabber set to "Automatic":

1. Jabber will ask for CUCM IP address using DNS SRV _cisco-uds._tcp from DNS Server
  2. Upon getting the CUCM IP, Jabber will ask for "Service Profile" from CUCM, where the IM&P ip address is located
  3. Jabber will ask for authentication to IM&P using the IM&P IP retrieved from CUCM "Service Profile"
  4. IM&P will perform the Jabber authentication with LDAP Server using the CUCM LDAP Authentication information

Now, _cuplogin is still available as a backup mechanism for some flavors of Jabber, but not advised for CUCM 9.x above. Because with _cuplogin Jabber will directly contact IM&P for auth without talking to CUCM First for service profile information (IM&P Database does have a copy of cucm service profile).