cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do I Need RTMT?

catkins101
Level 1
Level 1

I was under the impression that RTMT was necessary to monitor my voice servers (CUCM 10.5, UCCX 10.6, Unity 10.5 and IM&P). I thought it absurd to need an application running 24x7 to send me alerts when there were issues. However, my inexperience led me to build a VM and run the application to get basic alerts. Well, the virtual machine went down and I am still getting alerts and tracking emails show them coming from the voice servers. So is RTMT only needed for tweaking and customizing?? Please confirm the alerts actually come from the servers. All I can find online our people touting the benefits of RTMT.

Thanks!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

RTMT is more like an interface into CUCM/IMP/CUC than it is an autonomous application. For the purposes of alerts and alarms, what you are doing in RTMT is building alerts that are pushed into CUCM. Most folks find the interface of RTMT easier to work with, but the alarms/alerts themselves exist in CUCM/IMP/CUC and are active there.

These alerts and alarms can be viewed in the Serviceability GUI. If you would like to have the alerts/alarms stop or become less frequent, you can edit them in RTMT or directly in the Serviceability GUI.

You absolutely don't have to have RTMT running 24/7 to have the object monitored or to have the alerts/alarms generated.

Maren

View solution in original post

There are some alerts in RTMT that you can set up in lieu of SNMP MIBs in CUCM, such as a Performance Monitor for "number of active calls" (on an ongoing basis). That information is collected by RTMT and even stored locally, but email alerts for those counters will only work if RTMT is enabled for email and running. This is a corner-case though. For most things, RTMT pushes the alerts into CUCM.

There is a Cisco Live Presentation TECUCC-3000 that has a lot of awesome detail on setting up and using RTMT (along with other tools) to troubleshoot UC environments. Do a search for it. (The presentation is too big to attach here.)

Maren

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

RTMT is more like an interface into CUCM/IMP/CUC than it is an autonomous application. For the purposes of alerts and alarms, what you are doing in RTMT is building alerts that are pushed into CUCM. Most folks find the interface of RTMT easier to work with, but the alarms/alerts themselves exist in CUCM/IMP/CUC and are active there.

These alerts and alarms can be viewed in the Serviceability GUI. If you would like to have the alerts/alarms stop or become less frequent, you can edit them in RTMT or directly in the Serviceability GUI.

You absolutely don't have to have RTMT running 24/7 to have the object monitored or to have the alerts/alarms generated.

Maren

Thank you very much for clearing this up for me, Maren!

One additional question on this now that I think about it. Why do we need email configuration in RTMT if the alerts get sent from the servers themselves?

There are some alerts in RTMT that you can set up in lieu of SNMP MIBs in CUCM, such as a Performance Monitor for "number of active calls" (on an ongoing basis). That information is collected by RTMT and even stored locally, but email alerts for those counters will only work if RTMT is enabled for email and running. This is a corner-case though. For most things, RTMT pushes the alerts into CUCM.

There is a Cisco Live Presentation TECUCC-3000 that has a lot of awesome detail on setting up and using RTMT (along with other tools) to troubleshoot UC environments. Do a search for it. (The presentation is too big to attach here.)

Maren

Awesome. Thanks very much!

Kathy N.
VIP
VIP

We get the alerts by email but use RTMT to be able to see "real-time" status of multiple systems on the Device Search tab.  Network management tools can provide similar options but our unified communications team hasn't been given access....yet.  We also use it to troubleshoot phone issues.  It has a Real Time data tab that let's you get phone records for recent phone calls including the SIP ladder.

Response Signature

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: