Views
Helpful
Replies

how to enable auto startup for cisco jabber as soon as OS start

sukhigrwl
Level 1
Level 1

Good Afternoon All:

I  try to deploy cisco jabber on large base(right now only some people in IT using it) in my company and management want cisco jabber starts automatically as soon as OS starts. I knew there's option in cisco jabber under Option - General - Start-up - Start Cisco Jabber when my computer starts

but by default this option is disabled. I just to try to understand if there's any way I can make  this process automatic happen by group policy or cisco jabber-config.xml file( I tired to search this file on TFTP server but some how its not there so its something created automatically by CUCM or I have to upload manually  on server?)  

CUCM and  IM&P Version is 11.0

Cisco Jabber Client for Window is 11.6.0

Regards

Sukhdeep Grewal

20 Replies 20

Try below

Host Configuration Files

You can host configuration files on any TFTP server. However, Cisco recommends hosting configuration files on the Cisco Unified Communications Manager TFTP server, which is the same as that where the device configuration file resides.
Procedure

Step 1       Open the Cisco Unified OS Administration interface on Cisco Unified Communications Manager.
Step 2       Select Software Upgrades > TFTP File Management.
Step 3       Select Upload File.
Step 4       Select Browse in the Upload File section.
Step 5       Select the configuration file on the file system.
Step 6       Do not specify a value in the Directory text box in the Upload File section.

You should leave an empty value in the Directory text box so that the configuration file resides in the default directory of the TFTP server.
Step 7       Select Upload File.
Restart Your TFTP Server

You must restart your TFTP server before the client can access the configuration files.
Procedure

Step 1       Open the Cisco Unified Serviceability interface on Cisco Unified Communications Manager.
Step 2       Select Tools > Control Center - Feature Services.
Step 3       Select Cisco Tftp from the CM Services section.
Step 4       Select Restart.

A window displays to prompt you to confirm the restart.
Step 5       Select OK.

The Cisco Tftp Service Restart Operation was Successful status displays.
Step 6       Select Refresh to ensure the Cisco Tftp service starts successfully.
What to Do Next

To verify that the configuration file is available on your TFTP server, open the configuration file in any browser. Typically, you can access the global configuration file at the following URL: http://tftp_server_address:6970/jabber-config.xml

Configuration File Structure

You create client configuration files in an XML format that contains the following elements
XML Declaration
The configuration file must conform to XML standards and contain the following declaration:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

Root Element
The root element config, contains all group elements. You must also add the version attribute to the root element as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<config version="1.0">
</config>

Group Elements

Group elements contain configuration parameters and values. You must nest group elements within the root element.

XML Structure

XML Structure
The following snippet shows the XML structure of a client configuration file:

<Client>
  <parameter>value</parameter>
</Client>
<Directory>
</Directory>
<Options>
</Options>
<Phone>
</Phone>
<Policies>
</Policies>
<Presence>
</Presence>
<Voicemail>
</Voicemail>

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/10_6/CJAB_BK_C56DE1AB_00_cisco-jabber-106-deployment-and-installation-guide/CJAB_BK_C56DE1AB_00_cisco-jabber-106-deployment-and_chapter_01010.html

https://www.ucguru.com/jabber-configuration-with-jabber-config-xml/

HTH

JB

Note, there is a typo error on this command, you missed a " / "

<Start_Client_On_Start_OS>true</Start_Client_On_Start_OS>

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The jabber documentation explains you need to create the file yourself, and the required format.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks for clarification Jamie.

cmendes
Level 1
Level 1

the problem with the automatic update feature is the end user need admin rights. and by silent unattended install the problem we face is the update closes the jabber process and after the update it wont relaunch the process automatically so people wont notice jabber is closed...