Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Communicator and Active Directory

macwilson16
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco Community, 

At my company, help desk agents are given a regular AD user account and an admin account. The agents are supposed to be able to use their regular user account to log into the softphone to take/make calls. It works for all other help desk and operations agents at our company. However, when one of our new help desk guys logs into his IP communicator from his regular AD account he cannot place or take calls, but if he opens the softphone using his admin account, he has full functionality. 

I realize this may not be a Cisco issue perse, but if anyone has had experience with this issue, any suggestions and feedback would be greatly appreciated!

3 Replies 3

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I’d check the host firewall/IDS configuration on the new user’s machine. Typical problem isolation tactics may be useful here, eg does the issue follow the new user to a another user’s machine that was working previously? Is the issue reproducible on the new user’s laptop if another user logs in?

Also, CIPC is end of life. Please start planning your migration to the Webex app - which is compatible with CUCM.

macwilson16
Level 1
Level 1

Jonathan, thank you for the reply! I am going to take the information you gave me and work with the user further. I will post the results of my investigation. Thanks again!!

Adam Pawlowski
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If it isn't 'discovering' the phone system details, IIRC CIPC stores the configuration about the TFTP/device name in the system registry. An administrative user was needed to configure those options on a standalone install. It might be worth observing the software settings when signed in as the end user to see if they're present or not.