cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to import contacts from outlook into Jabber?

giladdarshan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to know if there is a way to import contacts from Outlook into Jabber?

I know there is a way to import using xml file, but how can I export the contacts from outlook into the xml template?

Thanks,

Gilad Darshan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Hamilton
Level 1
Level 1

It is possible to export your Outlook contacts into XML format using a tool called "OutlookAddressBookView" by Nirsoft.

The issue is that the tool does not export the contacts into an XML format readable by Jabber. You would have to edit the XML file to make it readable by Jabber. This process would be time consuming but is achievable using the search/replace function in any text editor.

Jabber requires XML files to be in this format: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/vxc/english/vxme/9-3_jabber_adv_fg/VXME_BK_A14F54E9_00_advanced-features-guide-for-cisco-jabber/VXME_BK_A14F54E9_00_advanced-features-guide-for-cisco-jabber_chapter_010.html#JABW_TK_I91503DB_00

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark Hamilton
Level 1
Level 1

It is possible to export your Outlook contacts into XML format using a tool called "OutlookAddressBookView" by Nirsoft.

The issue is that the tool does not export the contacts into an XML format readable by Jabber. You would have to edit the XML file to make it readable by Jabber. This process would be time consuming but is achievable using the search/replace function in any text editor.

Jabber requires XML files to be in this format: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/vxc/english/vxme/9-3_jabber_adv_fg/VXME_BK_A14F54E9_00_advanced-features-guide-for-cisco-jabber/VXME_BK_A14F54E9_00_advanced-features-guide-for-cisco-jabber_chapter_010.html#JABW_TK_I91503DB_00

Hi

How can i make the phone number of the contacts to appear?

I modified the xml file adding to it a field like this 

<user>
<uname>xxxxx@example.com</uname>
<fname>xxxx xxxx</fname>
"<phoneNumber/>XXXX<phoneNumber/>"

But no success.

Any ideas?

Regards!

I am looking to do this for the first time and I saw this post.

If this is a cut and past of your format then the issue is that you have the phone number surounded by two end tags

<phoneNumber/>XXXX<phoneNumber/>"

the first tag needs the / removed

Script attached to do the export from Outlook to Jabber requested XML format, including the phoneNumber field. 

1. Download attachment and rename with .hta extension
  2. Run script from computer where outlook contacts are
  3. Copy the output and paste into notepad and name it with and .xml extension
  4. Import into Jabber

Credit to source:  https://gist.github.com/john-clark/5dc8f3491ff72a48b190db6450457dcd#file-outlookcontacts2ciscojabberxml-hta

Hi,
Someone found a solution how to add Phone Number To the XML or csv file?
it's even possible?

I am also facing the same issue and unable to add mobile or phone contacts. So far only gname (groupname), uname (user email ID) and fname (user display name) are accepted to be imported to Cisco Jabber.

Anyone has a solution? 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: