Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue with Jabber MRA

Rajan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I am trying to register Jabber using MRA in a test environment. The problem is that there is already an SRV record for "_cisco-uds._tcp. domain" which is pointing to a CUCM cluster which is unreachable from our network. We have added external SRV record for "_collab-edge._tls.domain" pointing to Expressway E server.

In the captures, I could see both SRV records getting resolved. Will the jabber try using the Exp. servers if the CUCM IP address it gets from the first SRV is unreachable ? As of now its not and is there any other workaround to force Jabber to register using expressway as the first SRV record cannot be removed in our scenario.

Thanks,

Rajan

6 Replies 6

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Rajan,

see if I understand this, so you have MRA Jabber on a mobile Jabber client, that has internet connection. normally it would connect to whatever _collab-edge._tls.domain resolves into, but you also have a _cisco-uds srv record that resolves into a public IP address, which is not a VCSE?

cheers

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for looking into this.

Actually we are trying to test Jabber for mobile agents in a contact center environment. So before doing in production, we are trying to simulate the external registration of jabber clients in windows machine through expressway in lab.

Since we are not exactly registering from a public network, we thought of creating "_collab-edge" SRV in the DNS server, the PC with the jabber will use and make it register using expressway to the CUCM.

The problem here is that there is already an internal SRV "_cisco-uds" in the same DNS server used by other team which is pointing to another CUCM cluster . so whenever the jabber is trying to register, it gets that SRV record first followed by the collab edge one although access to that CUCM server IP provided by that cisco-UDS SRV is blocked by firewall, the jabber wont try the collab edge as it thinks its in an internal network and always try to use the cisco-UDS SRV.

Thanks 

Rajan

That is WAD, see figure 1

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_8/cjab_b_planning-guide-jabber-118/cjab_b_planning-guide-jabber-118_chapter_0100.html

You would need to configure Jabber to exclude _cisco-uds

ServiceDiscoveryExcludedServices—Optional. You can exclude any of the following services from the service discovery process:

• WEBEX—When you set this value, the client:
    • Does not perform CAS lookup

• Looks for:

• _cisco-uds

• _cuplogin

• _collab-edge

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_8/cjab_b_on-premises-deployment-for-cisco-jabber/cjab_b_on-premises-deployment-for-cisco-jabber_chapter_01101.html

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jaime,

Thanks for the info.

I have already tried it  and seeing the below results:

If i exclude CUCM and CUP, I see the below in the service-location.xml file and getting an error "unable to find your services automatically" in the jabber

<?xml version="1.0"?>

-<UCServices>

<ServicesDomain>domain.com</ServicesDomain>

<VoiceServicesDomain>domain.com</VoiceServicesDomain>

</UCServices>

If I exclude Webex, it is using "_cisco-uds" record and trying to go to the CUCM which is unreachable. It is also getting response for the "_collab-edge" SRV record but will never use it.

-<UCServices>
<ServicesDomain>domain.com</ServicesDomain>
<VoiceServicesDomain>domain.com</VoiceServicesDomain>

-<UCService>

<type>CUCM</type>

-<connectionInformation>

<name>_cisco-uds</name>

<scope>INNER</scope>

<address>cucm.domain.com</address>

<protocol>tcp</protocol>

<port>8443</port>
</connectionInformation>
</UCService>

</UCServices>

So not sure how to exclude only the "_cisco-uds" SRV in order for the jabber to use "_collab-edge" and register using Expressway.

External DNS you must have SRV record _collab-edge._tls.domain  pointing to expressway-e

Internal DNS you must have SRV record(s) _cisco-uds._tcp.domain pointing to the callmanagers

JH

Hi JH,

Thanks. yes, you are right. Thats how its supposed to be. But we are testing it without actual external network and hence trying to simulate one.

Thanks

Rajan