cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Client without Cisco media services interface. Does it work?

stevericks
Level 1
Level 1

Due to problems we are having with PCs hanging on bootup after having the media services interface installed, I am thinking of installing the Jabber client only.

Do we lose any functionality or does the media services interface just tag the video packets for QOS?

I will do some testing tomorrow. Just wondered if anyone had the definative answer.

Steve.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Steve

The primary function of MSI as it stands is to perform the CUVA style role of communicating between the PC and phone so you can have video from the PC and voice on the handset.

Without it you can do video only in softphone mode.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Steve

The primary function of MSI as it stands is to perform the CUVA style role of communicating between the PC and phone so you can have video from the PC and voice on the handset.

Without it you can do video only in softphone mode.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

I think to begin with, we are only going to use jabber for messaging presence and initiating a phone call to the handset. As long as we can do that, I think we will be happy.

As and when we get web cams maybe we can look at reinstalling the media services interface.

It works OK on a freshly imaged PC, but we have a mixture of builds, some quite old. I think if people want the video functionality they will have to have their desktop reimaged first.

Thanks,

Steve.

Hi

Sounds like a plan

Aaron Harrison

Principal Engineer at Logicalis UK

Please rate helpful posts...

The MSI is the clue between Rich Media Endpoints / Rich Media Applications and the Services provided by the network. It is part of the Medianet Framework. It seems to be that the Jabber Client is using MSI e. g. for Service Discovery (MSI provides different APIs to the applications).

regards,

Edgar