cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber for BB IF MVS is pulled

d.marsh
Level 4
Level 4

Not saying that blackberry will pull MVS but they have obviously got to reprioritise a lot of things and it might happen… are Cisco planning a Jabber voice client for the Blackberry devices if MVS does disappear?

6 Replies 6

skilambi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think it’s probably early to comment since Cisco along with a host of vendors is trying to bid for BB as per the news articles. So based on how that shakes out the response might change.

Thanks

Srini

Hi Srini,

Seen you at the UC SR 10, keeping up the good work I see!

I have seen a comment from a BB AM that suggestts MVS is already got an internal BB EOL statement about it, and that we wshouldn;t be looking for new opurtunities with it.

Surely with collab edge and a mobile jabber client you can give the fucntionality of MVS fairly simple, just not on BB as there is no voice jabber client for BB devices.

We have been working with MVS for a couple of years now, and to say I am not convicened by it is an understatement.

Thanks

Dave

Yep the issue is back to market share and how much dev time Cisco wants to spend on BB with Windows Mobile probably as the more important one to focus one behind Android and IOS. If BB gets dismantled and chopped up for IP….then the future state of these devices might be well in question.

Thanks

Srini

Yep would suprise me if the hardware went completely and the BB secure messaging platform remained in apps on other platforms.

I guess the one nice thing about MVS was the whole handoff piece which you don't get with Jabber, but i would say the MVS is at the end of the road. 

Richard

Let’s face it the enterprise customers are not going to replace all blackberry devices in the short to medium term, and a lot of us have sold them the MVS product. Unless Cisco buy MVS off Blackberry (oh please no ) which would be nearly impossible to do without the BES server. So all of these customers will be forced at the end of next year to go back to using the mobile carrier (unless they want an unsupportable system running their enterprise voice) when we have all sold them a integrated mobile convergence system with voice going through their IP PBX. These same customers will be saying “ what you want me to replace all my blackberry handsets with Android , windows mobile or Apple devices are you joking me?”  (or words to that affect) and “what I also have to change my mobile management platform as well, now you’re talking the ….” (and so on ).

This could all be stopped with a simple port of Jabber voice or a fully-fledged jabber IM and Voice client on the Blackberry, The IM one is there today, it has got to be the simple way forward. I am not suggesting a Blackberry is better than any other device I am just saying the enterprise market is pretty much saturated with them and with MVS disappearing we need jabber voice to back fill that demand.

Its not about feature parity with MVS its about having somewhere near the fuctionality.....

edwardforgacs
Level 1
Level 1

Having a Jabber client for Blackberry would certainly be a cleaner solution than MVS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: