Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber for Windows: Name displayed as user@domain

etamminga
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

I'm pretty new to Jabber for Windows. We configured CUPS and users are able to login, but their username (top of screen) is displayed as User-id@Presence-Domain.com instead of just a readable display name (first-name last-name).

Because we are using the mail attribute (ADAM/LDS) as the users user-id the name of the user now displays as myname@mycompany.com@presence-domain.com which is pretty hard to explain to the user!

What did we do wrong to cause this? We'd like to just display the "first-name last-name" name of a user like almost any images you find on jabber on google show.

Regards,

Erik

11 Replies 11

coflaher
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Erik,

I haven't tested this, but I believe if you add the following to your jabber-config file, it should resolve the issue.

displayName

- Colin

Hi,

No, the nickname field didn't do the trick. Any other thoughts? FYI, we have a cucm/cups cluster synced to an ad-lds (ADAM) domain. Jabber client is currently not able to do an ldap search in ad-lds, it returns an error in its logs about not being able to launch a searcher. Is this related?

What piece of information supplies the data that forms the displayed own username?

(we use ad-lds because this customer has a multi-forrest ad infrastructure.)

Regards,

Erik

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi Erik,

Current release of Cisco Jabber for Windows supports following directories:

Supported directories

• Microsoft Active Directory 2003
  • Microsoft Active Directory 2010
  • Cisco Unified Communications Manager User Data ServiceUDS is supported on Cisco Unified Communications Manager 8.6.2 or later.

(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_0_1/b_jabber_win_icg_chapter_01000.html#reference_DCE5937F506D424F9F9523A91B409821)

Support of ADAM and AD/LDS was not called out in the admin guide as no QA work was at the time of FCS.

We  are in the process of testing AD/LDS and ADAM.  Once the testing is  complete and integration results are successful, documentation will be  updated to reflect this. Until then we have opened following enhancement  defect for tracking.

CSCua20688: Jabber for Windows should support ADAM and AD/LDS

If your call manager version is 8.6.2 or later, you can try UDS in the meanwhile as a work around.

Regarding "What piece of information supplies the data that forms the displayed own username?",  you mentioned that you use mail attribute as the user id in call  manager. When you use any attribute other than sAMAccountName (this is  what jabber uses by default) as user id in call manager you need to  specify this explicitly in jabber-config.xml file using following  parameter:

mail

If you don't specify this information Jabber won't be  able to resolve contacts successfully. This is assuming EDI is used as  directory server type.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Hi Maqsood,

Thanks for answering the question in this detail.

I've tried UDS but immediately after configuring the configuration file, restarting TFTP and starting a new Jabber for Windows client the app crashes.

I've saved a crash report. do you mind if I sent it to you for a quick analisis?

Regards,

Erik Tamminga

Hi Eric,

Sure you can attach the problem report with this thread. If you are not comfortable with attaching to this thread you can email me (mamushta@cisco.com) directly.

Thanks,

Maqsood

My setup has:

- CUCM 8.6.2

- CUPS 8.6.x (whatever latest is)

- Latest Jabber

- LDAP enabled CUCM

UDS worked pretty good.  I did notice some odd phone numbers I have yet to track down why its pulling this.  But pictures, and all other info worked fine.   

If you are app is crashing, try going in and taking out un-needed configs such as voicemail, meetings, CTI, etc.  Also.. simply logging out/logging back in does nothing.  You have to shut the client down completely, then restart.

Hello Maqsood

We have been using ADAM-LDS intergration with CUPS and have run into similar issue as Erik. It is unbelieveable that Cisco did not think about adding support for ADAM in the first release of Jabber - as our exisiting personal communicator users are on it. We have been unable to deploy Jabber in our envionment due to this major defect. can you please advise ETA on this? Why has it taken so long for the development team to add support for ADAM/LDS for Jabber?

Thanks!

Hi,

ADAM/LDS support for Jabber for Windows is being tracked by CSCua20688. At the moment the target release to announce the support is 9.0(5) (subject to QA completion from System test team). Please track the progress on this defect via Cisco Software Bug Toolkit. There is a workaround note available with the defect. I have attached it with this thread in case you cannot access CSCus20688.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Maqsood - any update for CSCua20688?  Doesn't look like it made it in 9.0(5) or any of the 9.1 yet.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi etamminga, you solve you problem finally ?

Because i have the same issue with CUP 9.1 and CUCM 9.1myname@mycompany.com@presence-domain.com
shows in top of screen.

Or any can help me.. thanks

Hi, we had the same problem. Basically we have use UDS Settings in Callmanager for users in service Profile. But still you need the jabber-config.xml file on cucm to download for the client in

C:\Users\user1r\AppData\Roaming\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\Config\jabber-config.xml.

- - UDS - presence

HTH, please rate all useful posts and right answers.