Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Minimum Version?

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

We want to try and enforce a minimum version of the Jabber client for security reasons.

Within IM&P I have found a setting called 'Minimum Version' under Application > Client Types.

The IM&P guide states the following:

Minimum Version

Indicates the minimum version of the client application required to use this client type

Version Check Required

Default Setting: Off

Enable this setting to verify that users have the minimum version of the software clients installed. If users do not have the minimum version indicated, they will not be able to sign on.

I have tried enabling the version check and setting the minimum version but it doesn't seem to work, I can still login to Jabber with an older version of the client?

Ta

4 Replies 4

asisfontes1
Level 1
Level 1

Did you find a solution for this? also is there a way to offer the latest version as a download for a client that has an older version instead of just not letting him sign in?

John-117
Level 1
Level 1

I've been dealing with this issue as well. I have the XML for Jabber config pointing to a Jabber Update XML, and an updated .msi installer referenced in said update XML. I also set the Minimum required version to the current 12.9.1 and it updates some users, but it's definitely not verifying each user. I also tried adding the build number and that just prevents people from other versions from signing in.

I feel like that last piece is critical. I think it's very close to being resolved. Likely an adjustment of the build number. 

In the configuration in the IMP server I usually set to "12.9.0.0" or similar to enforce 12.9 releases.

For whatever reason if you put "12.9.1" this will not do anything, that fourth value has to be there.

It also only seems to actually do anything when the client signs in to Jabber. I believe the fast sign-in with credential cache for the authenticater components allows the client to connect to voicemail, phone, etc even if IMP doesn't like it. That's been my experience anyway.

If you're using Jabber 12.9+ in all your clients you can use the BlockVersionBelow parameter in the .xml to force people to upgrade and they get a message explaining they need to upgrade.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate