Views
Helpful
Replies

Lock Symbol during Chat

Muhammad Younas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I installed Cisco Jabber 9.2.1. During chat/IM a lock symbol/icon appears. When i place mouse over it, it shows a message stating "Secured to server". What does it mean?                   

4 Replies 4

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It means that there is a TLS session established between the client and the XMPP server. Are you using the on-premise IM&P/CUP server or WebEx Connect?

I have a theory that it won't show the lock with an on-premise server by default since the server uses a self-signed certificate that wouldn't be installed in the trust store of the PC, thus TLS would fail. We use WebEx Connect so I don't have any easy way to test this theory short of building up an entire lab for it.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Hi Jonathan,

We have on premise server. It was'nt there in previous versions of Jabber. Please elaborate what this lock icon means?

Thnx.

Ok. So Jabber is setting up the TLS session even though Windows [likely] doesn't trust the certificate. Interesting choice.

Either way it just means that the XMPP connection is encrypted.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Erick Bergquist
Level 6
Level 6

That icon is new in 9.2.1. I don't like placement of icon and hope in future versions they move it to top or make it more subtle (next to other icons -(screenshot, etc). The padlock icon placement now stands out like a sore thumb.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App