Views
Helpful
Replies

New release of Cisco Jabber IM for iPhone

mgervase
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

We'd like to let you know that we have added some key enterprise features to Cisco Jabber IM for iPhone.

This app, which is free to both Cisco WebEx Connect/WebEx Messenger and Cisco Unified Presence customers, lets you stay connected with Jabber IM and presence on your iPhone when you are on the go.

The latest release is available now in the Apple iTunes App Store and adds two key enterprise features.

1. Multiple Resource Login: You can log in to both Cisco Jabber IM for iPhone and a desktop IM client so you can always keep your messaging applications open regardless of the devices you are using.

2. Single sign on: Cisco Jabber IM for iPhone supports a federated Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML) 2.0 single-sign-on policy if required by your organization.

For more details, see the datasheet and download the app today.

Let us know what you think!

Thank you,

Mark Gervase

Collaboration Marketing

11 Replies 11

arkitect75
Level 1
Level 1

I've tried the newest version in conjunction with the desktop client of Jabber (9.0.5) and I noticed that conversations do not move from teh mobile device to the dekstop client and back.  This means that if two users are conversing, and they both open up the desktop and mobile clients, they could essentially have two different conversations.

Chris, the way multiple resource login works is that the initial IM will pop up in all the open clients, let's say Jabber on Windows and Jabber IM on iPhone. Then, the conversation will only continue on the client that responds to the initial IM. So if you choose to respond on iPhone, you won't see the rest of the conversation on Windows.

It seems like what you're describing is possible. If both people have 2 devices logged in, they could probably have 2 separate simultaneous IM chats. I've never tried it, but maybe someone else has and can weigh in.

Thanks for sharing,

Mark

tylergohl
Level 1
Level 1

Does the multiple resource login work with Cisco Jabber for Mac?  No dice so far on using Jabber for Mac + iPhone at the same time.

Tyler, it should work, but I do know that these features are also dependent on how things are set up on the backend. I'm not really the expert there, but hopefully our admin guides can offer a bit of insight.

Mark

jil3
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tyler,

What backend do you use for IM&P ? Are you using WebEx Messenger Service or CUCM IM&P (used to know as CUP server) on-prem ?

In both case, multiple resource login are supported. Just as Mark descripted early, the behavior is like:

"he way multiple resource login works is that the initial IM will pop up in all the open clients, let's say Jabber on Windows and Jabber IM on iPhone. Then, the conversation will only continue on the client that responds to the initial IM. So if you choose to respond on iPhone, you won't see the rest of the conversation on Windows.

"

Regards,

Ji

Hi Tyler,

The Jabber IM for iPhone 1.0.2 is available in the app store now. We support the multiple resource login in this build with both WebEx Connect account and CUP account. Please have a try with the new release.

Thanks,

Jackey

I'm using Jabber 1.0.2 (23597) for iOS - which I believe is the most recent version on the app store.  I'm not on the team that manages the CCM environment, but I know we are using the Cisco hosted WebEx connect service (managed from https://swapi.webexconnect.com/wbxconnect)

Any time I attempt to log in from my iPhone while logged in on Jabber for Mac - it immediately logs me off of Jabber for Mac (or vica versa).  I'm also using 8.6.5 (19623) on the Mac side.  Should it work with the Cisco hosted version of WebEx connect?

The latest version of Jabber IM does support multiple logins but other users have reported the same issue only with Mac. I have JBW and Jabber IM for IPhone using connect services(WebEx Messenger) and it does work for me. looks to be specific to the Mac in this case

If you have a windows machine to try it should work..

Thanks

Srini

Hi Tyler,

The latest Jabber IM for iPhone supports the multiple resource login. However, if the AES is enabled in your company, only single resource login will work. Please double check whether the AES is enabled in your environment.

Thanks,

Jackey

Hi Jackey - I'm pretty sure AES is enabled in our environment, is that a setting that can be adjusted on a per user basis; or is it all or nothing for the company?

Hi Tyler,

Currently we don't have the setting per user basis. It is an overall administration setting.

Thanks,

Jackey