Views
Helpful
Replies

Not able to create Restricted group In Pres

ashwanikoul
Level 1
Level 1

Hi team,

we are using Cisco IM and Presence in premises with Jabber client for windows, we have enables the Persistent chat rooms for Jabber Clients while creating the chat room with restricted option, there is no lock option every one can see only Join option no lock nothing in the All rooms and every one can join the room and as soon as any other person joins the chat room it gets changed to public automatically. we followed the below link to configure the Persistent chat rooms.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/12439721/enable-persistent-chat-rooms-jabber-clients

CUCM version 10.5

Cisco IM and Presence: 10.5

Cisco Jabber 11.1

Need your assistance in resolving this issue.

Thanks and regards

Ashwani Koul

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sorry for the delayed response. Has this problem been resolved yet?

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to reproduce this problem using the info provided above. The only exception was... I used an external PostgreSQL database whereas, I noticed you -most likely- have an external Oracle database; hence, referencing of the 'PCHAT' table and the hostname containing 'ORA'.

Before I begin, please reference the 'Database Setup for IM and Presence Service on Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Release 10.5(1) Guide' to ensure your external Oracle database has been installed and configured correctly; see attachment.

If not, please correct and restart services... if you can, completely restart the servers - starting with the Publisher, wait for all of the services to display "STARTED" and then restart the next node, and so on. 

The other problem I noticed was, the subscriber node wasn't assigned an external database server - located under the 'Group Chat and Persistent Chat Settings' > 'Persistent Chat Database Assignment'. While I don't believe this problem is directly related to your problem... chat admins / users might notice other problems, such as;

- Unable to allocate or assign AdHoc (Group) and Persistent Chat Rooms to the subscriber node from the Cisco Jabber client - by selecting the node from the drop down menu (Location).

- Any users assigned to the subscriber node would unlikely be able to view the status of the Persistent Chat Rooms since the subscriber node is essentially - disconnected from the cluster... from the Persistent Chat standpoint.

- Any Persistent Chat Rooms previously created on the subscriber node and assuming you -unassigned- the external database from the subscriber node, these Persistent Chat Rooms would no longer appear in the list of available Chat Rooms.

Otherwise, you can try one of the following;

1. Try to associate the external Oracle database to the subscriber node, under the Group Chat and Persistent Chat Settings - Persistent Chat Database Assignment. Restart XCP Router.

2. Do you need the XCP SIP Federation Connection Manager Service = ON? If not, then disable it. This service is typically used for inter-cluster federation between Cisco's newer IM and Presence platform and Cisco's older platform aka CUPC, and third-party vendor solutions or networks that prefer SIP over XMPP... but the industry standard is XMPP. Ideally, you don't want to run both of these services (i.e. XMPP Federation and SIP Federation) at the same time, unless you absolutely need them.

3. Check the System Troubleshooter for additional information. Make sure the External Database Troubleshooter and User Troubleshooter looks Ok - no major errors or alarms.

4. Make sure you're NOT blocking (i.e. bouncing) or passing these events through a personal Compliance Profile. If so, I would recommend changing the priority of the Compliance Profiles and move the Default Profile to the top. Logout/Login and then conduct another test. 

5. Analyze debug logs for Cisco Jabber and IM/Presence. Cisco Jabber logs are located under your C: Drive. The logs are embedded in the Cisco > Unified Communications > Jabber > CSF > Logs folder. If you want, you can login to Cisco Unified IM and Presence Serviceability - under Trace > Troubleshooting Trace Settings, select the following; XCP Router and XCP Text Conference Manager.

NOTE: Make sure you -uncheck- these services after troubleshooting.

NOTE: You can analyze the IM/Presence logs via RTMT.

Good Luck!!! Let me know what happens.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark Swanson
Level 4
Level 4

Ashwani,

Please reference the following url;

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/im_presence/configAdminGuide/10_5_1/CUP0_BK_CE43108E_00_config-admin-guide-imp-105/CUP0_BK_CE43108E_00_config-admin-guide-imp-105_chapter_01110.html

First thing first, make sure XCP Text Conference Manager service is running (started) on all of the Presence nodes.

Next, make sure you don't have any notifications requesting you restart any services - like XCP Router or XCP Text Conference Manager. If so, then you need to restart these services... but if you can, completely restart the Presence servers - starting with the Publisher, then slowing restarting the Subscribers. Make sure all of the services display "STARTED" before you restart the next Presence server.

How many users do you have within your Presence cluster(s)?

I ask because IF you have a small number of users (i.e. less than 50 users), perhaps all of these users were added to the persistent chat room(s) as members by the owner aka room administrator, or by the moderator. In addition to this, you should check your 'Invite Settings' under the Group Chat and Persistent Chat Settings window... make sure you didn't change the default setting (participant) to visitor. In your case, you might want to change this setting to moderator.

If you still can't get this to work, please provide a screenshot of the Group Chat and Persistent Chat Settings.

Dear Mark

Thanks for the reply, yes XCP Text Conference Manager service is running fine and no errors on the Presence server regarding the service. In the messaging setting for persistent chat Invite setting is that "only moderator can add members" we have kept the default setting

We tested the below scenario:

Scenario 1

• Created the room with restricted access.
  • Added password
  • Added members
  • As soon as members joined the chat room with password it changed from restricted to public automatically.
  • Also it did not show the members list in the chat room.

Scenario 2

• Created the room with restricted access.
  • Added password
  • No members added
  • Asked other to join the room (provided them password)
  • As soon as other user joined the chat room with password it changed from restricted to public automatically.

Thanks and regards

Ashwani

Hmmm Ok. Can you please provide the following info;

1. Specific version info for CUCM, Cisco IM and Presence and Cisco Jabber.

For example; Cisco IM and Presence v10.5.2.23900-3

2. Are you using Cisco Jabber for Windows (CJ4W) or Cisco Jabber for Mac (CJ4M)?

3. All of the Group Chat and Persistent Chat settings, minus the database info.

4. List of Activated Services, located under Cisco Unified IM and Presence Serviceability (for each node).

For example: You can say - ALL services, or ALL services but File Transfer and Directory.

Hi Mark

Please find the below details:

. Specific version info for CUCM, Cisco IM and Presence and Cisco Jabber.

• CUCM version 10.5.2-10000-5
  • Cisco IM and Presence: 10.5.2-10000-9

2. Are you using Cisco Jabber for Windows (CJ4W) or Cisco Jabber for Mac (CJ4M)?

•  Only Cisco Jabber for Windows (CJ4W) and MRA

3. All of the Group Chat and Persistent Chat settings, minus the database info.

• Please find attached screenshot

4. List of Activated Services, located under Cisco Unified IM and Presence Serviceability (for each node).

• Please find attached screenshot

Thanks and regards

Ashwani Koul

Sorry for the delayed response. Has this problem been resolved yet?

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to reproduce this problem using the info provided above. The only exception was... I used an external PostgreSQL database whereas, I noticed you -most likely- have an external Oracle database; hence, referencing of the 'PCHAT' table and the hostname containing 'ORA'.

Before I begin, please reference the 'Database Setup for IM and Presence Service on Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Release 10.5(1) Guide' to ensure your external Oracle database has been installed and configured correctly; see attachment.

If not, please correct and restart services... if you can, completely restart the servers - starting with the Publisher, wait for all of the services to display "STARTED" and then restart the next node, and so on. 

The other problem I noticed was, the subscriber node wasn't assigned an external database server - located under the 'Group Chat and Persistent Chat Settings' > 'Persistent Chat Database Assignment'. While I don't believe this problem is directly related to your problem... chat admins / users might notice other problems, such as;

- Unable to allocate or assign AdHoc (Group) and Persistent Chat Rooms to the subscriber node from the Cisco Jabber client - by selecting the node from the drop down menu (Location).

- Any users assigned to the subscriber node would unlikely be able to view the status of the Persistent Chat Rooms since the subscriber node is essentially - disconnected from the cluster... from the Persistent Chat standpoint.

- Any Persistent Chat Rooms previously created on the subscriber node and assuming you -unassigned- the external database from the subscriber node, these Persistent Chat Rooms would no longer appear in the list of available Chat Rooms.

Otherwise, you can try one of the following;

1. Try to associate the external Oracle database to the subscriber node, under the Group Chat and Persistent Chat Settings - Persistent Chat Database Assignment. Restart XCP Router.

2. Do you need the XCP SIP Federation Connection Manager Service = ON? If not, then disable it. This service is typically used for inter-cluster federation between Cisco's newer IM and Presence platform and Cisco's older platform aka CUPC, and third-party vendor solutions or networks that prefer SIP over XMPP... but the industry standard is XMPP. Ideally, you don't want to run both of these services (i.e. XMPP Federation and SIP Federation) at the same time, unless you absolutely need them.

3. Check the System Troubleshooter for additional information. Make sure the External Database Troubleshooter and User Troubleshooter looks Ok - no major errors or alarms.

4. Make sure you're NOT blocking (i.e. bouncing) or passing these events through a personal Compliance Profile. If so, I would recommend changing the priority of the Compliance Profiles and move the Default Profile to the top. Logout/Login and then conduct another test. 

5. Analyze debug logs for Cisco Jabber and IM/Presence. Cisco Jabber logs are located under your C: Drive. The logs are embedded in the Cisco > Unified Communications > Jabber > CSF > Logs folder. If you want, you can login to Cisco Unified IM and Presence Serviceability - under Trace > Troubleshooting Trace Settings, select the following; XCP Router and XCP Text Conference Manager.

NOTE: Make sure you -uncheck- these services after troubleshooting.

NOTE: You can analyze the IM/Presence logs via RTMT.

Good Luck!!! Let me know what happens.

There's one more thing I forgot to add...

- You can always upgrade Cisco Jabber to the latest release; 11.5(3) or 11.6(0).

- If you can, upgrade CUCM and IM/Presence to the latest 10.5(2) release. You're running a slightly older release that dates back almost 2 years ago and they were the first release within 10.5(2)... which means, there's probably a ton of bugs.

Thanks mark  for your support.

Issue is resolved now,This was the issue with oracle database connection with base version of Call Manager and IM and presence  we upgraded the base version to SU2 version and reconfigured the oracle database instance, updated the Jabber client on all platform to new version and re-enabled the persistent chat.

All is working fine now Thanks for your support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks and Regards

Ashwani