cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Presence Status Issue in Jabber

Rohit Khajuria
Level 1
Level 1

Some of the users in one of our site are facing issues with Presence status of Jabber. The presence status is blinking on and off most of the time.

Can someone please tell me what could be the reason for the same and how to troubleshoot it ?

Regards

5 Replies 5

Varundeep Chhatwal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hello , presence engine and XCP router are responsible for Presence to flow effectively. Could you please check the below :

1. are there any cores on servers.

2. dbreplication is fine.

3. any major service in stopped state or flapping.

4. did you get a chance to reboot the server or start the PE and XCP router service.

Hi Varun

Thanks for your reply !! But could you please tell me what and how can I check if there is any issue in logs related to Jabber !!!

Regards

for jabber logs , collect the PRT in order to analyze the logs. you can collect the PRT ( problem report ) by navigating to help --> report a problem. once you do it , try searching for presence status change in it. but generally these kind of issues are from server end not the client. is this a new deployment ?

Hi Varun

Thanks for your response again. Well its not a new deployment and the interesting thing is its not happening with every user in the location but more than 50% of them.

Anyways I will try to get the logs in the way you mentioned and ll let you know about the same.

Regards

Check the following;

1. Did you check, "Enable use of Email Address for Inter-Domain Federation" under Presence > Settings > Standard Configuration? That's assuming, the other site would be considered an external federated site. If so, no biggie... however, this would directly impact how users manually add external contacts via Custom Contacts.

2. Verify the Presence > Inter-Cluster Peers [click on the Peer Addresses]

- Verify the Inter-Cluster Peer Status... everything should be "green". If not, check the peer address and credentials.

- Verify the Certificate Status... the connection should be "secure". If not, expand for details and click 'Force Manual Sync' on all clusters.

3. Restart PE and XCP Router (as mentioned by Varundeep)

*Before you restart services, can you find out;

- Does this problem impact internal contacts at this site as well?

- If so, do you notice any patterns; for example, there's only presence awareness issues for particular contacts or sites? Potential account issues, network service interruptions, etc. 

4. Finally, please make sure users DON'T add local (domain) contacts via File > New > Custom Contact. Local (domain) contacts should be added by going to File > New > Contact. Better yet, users can simply search for a contact, then click on the [+] symbol to add the contact. Trust me, while I know this sounds completely ridiculous... we had a countless number of users over the years add local contacts as Custom Contacts.

Plus, within the CJ4W v11.5 release notes... there's a Bug ID (CSCuz59060) that talks about adding external contacts as Company Contacts because adding external contacts as Custom Contacts may cause intermittent presence issues.

Which version of Jabber and Presence are you running anyways?