cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Restore Chat History on New Computer

deepSh79
Level 1
Level 1

Our laptops are getting upgraded and though most of the data is restored using cloud backups, somehow Jabber data is not restored to the new laptops.

I tried copying all the data from "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF" of old laptop to the same location of new computer. Exited from Jabber before copying the data.

As soon as I restart Jabber, the .db.v2 file is overwritten with a new file because of which I'm unable to restore my chat history which contains a lot of important information.

Though the machine name is changed but the login user id and everything else is same as was on the previous computer. In this scenario the program should not delete the previous file.

Can this defect be resolved? Or a new feature of import history be added in the Jabber to help users restore their histories when moving to new computers.

2 Replies 2

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This has been asked many times before, please search the community for answers before posting.

There is no defect, this is working as designed, since Jabber 11.9 or 12.0, can't recall exactly in which version this was introduced, a lot of the Jabber files (including the chat history) are encrypted and the encryption keys change, that's why the file you're trying to use is rejected, the encryption keys do not match from the old computer to the new one.

Right now there is no process to migrate the encrypted data from one Jabber install to a new install, you should be able to open the file, the process has been discussed in previous threads.

You can reach out to your SE in order to submit a PER on a process to migrate the local chat history upon reinstall.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi JaVa,

Thanks for replying. Yes, I searched for this and found two threads without any resolution which has worked for the users who posted these questions earlier. Link for both these threads are as follows:

Unfortunately, myself as well coming from a product development background, its hard for me to accept no solution as a solution from a product company.

A usability feature like this can be considered as an enhancement to the tool as in my scenario, I'm an enterprise user with company provided new laptop with same certificates, domain user ID and signatures as of my old computer. On a lighter side, its same as saying that I can no longer wear my old clothes if I change my home. That is an end user perspective.

Thanks...