cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC Lab on a Ryzen-based VMWare Workstation - anyone doing this?

kylebrogers
Level 4
Level 4

I want to be able to occasionally spin up a VM of CUCM, CUC, IMP, CER, etc on my PC to test things.  I've never really had an issue with it but I'm considering moving to a Ryzen-based PC.  I know there was some discussion a couple of years ago where there were issues installing UC apps if the underlying processors were Ryzen but you were able to install them on an Intel-based system, then copy them over to a Ryzen system and run them.  I'm wondering if anyone uses a Ryzen-based system for testing and, if so, can you now install them directly on the system or do you have to spin up the VMs initially on an Intel system and then copy them over?  

6 Replies 6

b.winter
VIP
VIP

Why don't you just try it on your own?
This is a very very specific question and I bet you won't get an answer. So why don't you just try it out and write a blog entry afterwards?

I haven't moved to a Ryzen system yet and, if it's going to be a problem when I try to spin up VMs for testing/labbing, I likely won't make the move to Ryzen.    

Paul.Blackburn
Level 1
Level 1

CUCM and CUCM IM&P 14 SU2 both work in VMWare Workstation on Ryzen (5600X in my case).
You'll have a warning about unsupported hardware and on the about screens you will see -1 vCPUs.

Did you install CUCM and IMP 14 on VMWare Workstation on that system or did you copy existing VMs (that were initially installed on an Intel system) over to it?  

Created the VM's from scratch.

kvs1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 14" laptop with 32GB ram and the latest Ryzen CPU and I'm not able to spin up any Nexus switches in CML. That may or may not have been a CPU thing or configuration issue as I didn't troubleshoot it and forgot the error code which at the time, I remember thinking it may have been CPU related. Edit: But I am running VM Workstation Pro with ESXi hosts and servers just fine.