Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade cwms 1.5 to 2.0 vcenter issue

Driss BENATTOU
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I'm trying to fo an upgrade to CWMS 2.0.1.107.B-AE from 1.5. I'm selecting automatic mode. when I enter Administration and vcenter URLs, the credentials are OK but I got an error saying : 

Unable to find the ESXI info of the old system inside vCenter

Do you have any idea about this error message ?

Regards

Driss

4 Replies 4

dpetrovi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Driss,

Is your 2.0 Upgrade Admin VM on the same ESXi host as the original system? For Automatic Deployment this new 2.0 Upgrade Admin VM must be on the same ESXi host as the original Admin VM.

On your ESXi host, are you using Distributed vSwitch or Standard vSwitch? If you have Distribute vSwitch you will have to do a Manual Deployment. Only Standard vSwitch is supported for Automatic Deployment.

To check this do the following:

1.       Use vSphere client to connect to vCenter.
  2.       Click on ESXi host.
  3.       Click on Configuration tab
  4.       Click on Networking link in Hardware section
  5.       Click View: vSphere Standard Switch button. If you see your NICs configured here, it means you are using Standard vSwitch.
  6.        Still, click on View: vSphere Distributed Switch button, and ensure there is nothing configured there.

Make sure you don't have any VM snapshots taken on the original system. That will be checked during the automatic upgrade and won't let you proceed if there are any.

Ensure vCenter is reachable via hostname and not only via IP Address.

Make sure that ESXi hosts in your deployment have NTP configured to "Start and Stop with host", that NTP is started, and that time is in sync on all hosts. If not, and if you need to adjust the time, this has to be done when all the VMs are gracefully shit down, as DB data is very dependent on time stamps.

To check this do the following:

1.       Use vSphere client to connect to vCenter.
  2.       Click on ESXi host.
  3.       Click on Configuration tab
  4.       Click on Time Configuration link in the Software section
  5.       Click on Properties in the top right
  6.        Verify the time and that NTP Client is Enabled – if time is incorrect. Don’t adjust it why your VMs are running. Find the time to put the system into Maintenance, gracefully power them off (Power > Shut down Guest), and then adjust the time.
  7.       If the time is OK, click on Options button
  8.       Ensure Start and Stop with Host is selected. If the time is correct, but this setting is wrong, you can make the change without powering off the VMs.
  9.         Repeat this on all ESXi hosts in your CWMS deployment.

Finally, verify if you have enough free disk space on the ESXi host that you are deploying the 2.0 Upgrade VM and performing an upgrade (for 250 user systems and larger, minimum of 990GB of FREE space is needed, for 50 user systems, minimum of 1.2TB of FREE space is needed).

I hope this will help.

-Dejan

Hello,

Thank you for the Reply.

I checked everything but nothing is happened. the same behaviour is still encoutering.

Regards

Driss

Hi Driss,

Is your original 1.5 system up and running when you attempt to upgrade, or you placed it in Maintenance Mode or powered OFF the VMs?

The original 1.5 system must be fully up and running and fully accessible when you deploy 2.0 Admin Upgrade VM and perform an Automatic Upgrade.

To ensure this is possible, you do need to assign a separate temporary IP address and hostname to this 2.0 Admin Upgrade VM to avoid IP conflict with the original running system.

You also need to ensure this IP and hostname are included in the DMZ firewall rules if you have IRP server in the DMZ, so that during the automatic upgrade, 2.0 IRP VM can automatically be created. (All the rules that are configured for the original 1.5 Admin VM must be applied to this temporary IP/hostname of the 2.0 Admin Upgrade VM)

If all the conditions specified in this and my previous post are fulfilled, but the upgrade is still failing, we will need to take a look into your system to understand what might be happening. For something like that we would need a TAC Service Request to be opened.

I hope this helps.

-Dejan

Im running webex and ant IRP on a c220-m3 with 8 300mb HD's...im assuming I don't have enough space to upgrade?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: