cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Virtual Backgrounds for Jabber

Douglas Baggett
Level 1
Level 1

I know it sounds TRIVIAL, but now that zoom, webex and others have virtual backgrounds and blur...has anybody heard if Jabber UC is going to get this feature (I get questions from customers about it).

People also want it in CMS WebRTC meetings as well.

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Roadmap items are NDA, thus, cannot be discussed in public forums.

You would need to ask this via your SE.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

thanks!

Adam Pawlowski
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you use something that presents as a camera that offers this, then you can accomplish it. It's obviously not a thing that is suitable for most customers. I use Manycam myself which now works again since 12.9 without crashing Jabber. I can do chroma key or software background replacement and its the same between all the conferencing apps because it comes through the "camera".

Again not scalable and I doubt it will ever appear in Jabber IMO.

rikardkrvaric
Spotlight
Spotlight
My Quadcore i7 increases about 50% in CPU power when using the virtual backgrounds in Webex... Cisco still has to figure out how to do it without killing the CPU... perhaps THEN can they consider adding it to Jabber...

To be fair, Zoom also has pretty strict requirements for virtual backgrounds as well (only 8th gen intel CPU or equivalent).

Unfortunately, ever since Zoom made them popular my management expects to have that.

Yeah and I see it in the release notes for Teams client now too . I guess I could be surprised that the components in Jabber could be updated to support it . I noted a pretty nasty frame rate drop (at least in the self view / reflected grid square) when using this in Webex, and I have an AMD 3700X if it's using CPU so I would not have expected that.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: