Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8851 doesn't receive internal or external calls but can make the

nrscosta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

Cisco 8851 doesn't receive internal or external calls but can make them. Configuration seems correct, and supposedly, there have been no changes (indication given by the customer, assuming it's correct and valid). How to check for possible issues on the CUCM side? Sorry, I'm completely illiterate in this area.

7 Replies 7

If the internal DN can't receive calls it is likely either a PT/CSS issue (the inbound trunk's CSS can't reach the inbound call routing components to get to the internal DN, or the DN is in the wrong partition) or it is a digit manipulation issue.

The first thing I'd do is use the Dialed Number Analyzer.

For Internal calls click on Analyze > Phone and select the phone that will be dialing to this DN, then put in the digits it would dial.

For External calls click on Analyze > Trunk and select the inbound trunk, then put in the numbers as presented to CUCM by the trunk for the inbound call. The DNA will show you how it it attempting to process the inbound call. 

If the call isn't working the DNA output will probably show "Block this call" in both cases, but will give you it's thinking on how it is processing the call so you can see where the breakdown is.

Maren

Thank you, Maren.
Thank you in advance for the response and its details.

As soon as I have the opportunity, I will explore (DNA) as you suggest and try to identify the issue.
If I find anything, I will share.

Thanks again!

If you dont mind, What I understand is that PT is about partition and CSS call search space, but from what I remember in the configuration in CUCM, PT and CSS are for several agents\users and this problem only exists for 1 specific extension, the rest are working without problems

If it is a situation in PT or CSS, wouldn't it affect more users? Isn't this a more comprehensive configuration?

thanks in advance

If you have compared the Partition the non-receiving DN is in to other numbers that are receiving calls, then you are right that it is unlikely a PT/CSS issue. It still may be a digit manipulation issue, and there is a small possibility that the host phone is having an issue. (Have you reset the phone and tested? I'm surprised at how often that solves weird issues.)

What is the behavior when you dial the DN? Is it dead air or fast busy?

If it is dead-air, you may have a number or pattern overlapping this DN. You can test this by dialing the DN and waiting for 15 seconds to see if the call is extended to the phone. If the phone rings after 15 seconds you probably have an overlap. You can use the Route Plan Report to determine what other number or pattern starts with the same sorts of digits but is longer. (Example: 22333 as a DN and 22XXXX as route pattern or translation pattern.)

If it is fast-busy, I'd be thinking digit manipulation problem. DNA might help with this.

As you are posting in the Contact Center forum, is this an agent number that can't be dialed via the UCC call flow and also can't be reached when dialed directly? Or is it one or the other? Alternately, is it a personal line on an agent phone that can't be dialed?

I probably should have asked these questions in my original response. Sorry...

Maren

I would like to thank you for all the help I can get, I should have provided more data\information, but since I don't know, I also honestly don't know what data could help, I'm waiting for them to give clues and somehow go step by step to understand what's going on

A HardReset was performed on the equipment and the problem unfortunately persists.
When making calls to the number (internal or external) the result is always the same: Sip-486 Busy Here

Out of curiosity, is the number on this phone a single line or something unique like a shared line with other people? Does it make any difference if you change the number(s) for the phone?

Along the same lines, does the phone/user use extension mobility? If so, does the phone work if another user logs in there, and then stop working when the original user logins in?
These would at least potentially eliminate if it was some wierd phone specific/location specific issue, for instance.

nrscosta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Maren, bill.king1,
Thank you in advance for all your support.

What i did at this point.

this is the original config, from view route plan report
Default -> Partition -> Type -> RouteDetail
12345 -> P-Global-Internal -> DirectoryNumber -> Device (CISCO 8851)
12345 -> P-Global-Login -> DirectoryNumber -> UDP Profile
12345 -> P-Global-TranslationPattern -> DirectoryNumber -> **
** this goes to a mask number, for outgoing calls (example: xxxxxxxxx)

and creating a new extension with the properties of the problematic extension, in the new extension everything works without problems.

Somtehing like this, again view from route plan report:
Default -> Partition -> Type -> RouteDetail
54321 -> P-Global-Internal -> DirectoryNumber -> Device (CISCO 8851)
54321 -> P-Global-Login -> DirectoryNumber -> UDP Profile
54321 -> P-Global-TranslationPattern -> DirectoryNumber -> **
** this goes to a mask number, for outgoing calls (example: xxxxxxxxx)
At this moment this config, works, all calls are succeed

The customer wants to have the original configuration (keep the original extension: 12345) and not the new one.

Another change that i made to test was made it was changing DN 54321 to the original DN 12345) from the new extension to the original and the problem occurs again, but in this situation with SIP:404 invalid number

As I said before, I have little knowledge and so I'm sorry if I don't express myself in the most correct way when explaining the situation and some confusion.