Helpful
Replies

Monitoring UCCE by SCOM

Marcel Vejmelka
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

Our customer has a UCCE version 8.5.

And asked me if the Microsoft SCOM is supported in order to do monitoring/alerting. If yes, exist Management Pack SNMP traps for SCOM?

Many thanks for your answer.

-marcel

7 Replies 7

geoff
Level 10
Level 10

Any SNMP-based Network Management Tool will work - HP OpenView, SolarWinds Orion etc. Cisco does not care - they follow the standards.

Import the MIBs (published on Cisco.com) and away you go.

Regards,

Geoff

I understood. But my question it was regarding exist management pack, that will our customer use for correct interpreting snmp traps from UCCE.

I know, that exist management pack for SCOM for many many systems.

Thanks.

-marcel

What is a "Management Pack for SCOM" ?

Regards,

Geoff

Geoff,

Management Pack is tool, that help interpret SNMP trap as userfriendly messages.

You can look at this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Center_Operations_Manager#Management_Pack for more information and better understanding.

-marcel

Interesting link. Is the underlying communications model SNMP?

"SCOM uses the term management pack to refer to a set of filtering rules specific to some monitored application."

OK, I personnaly don't know of anything like this.

I have worked with developers who wrote filtering rules for SolarWinds Orion. It's a matter of knowing what processes a ICM node requires (a Router node has different Processes to a PG node) and that's standard ICM stuff. Then set up the NM tool to look for those processes with a regular SNMP GET on the Process table. This is the health check probe.

The MIB defines what the traps mean, and if you want to catch them, and interpret them, all I know is the MIB.

Regards,

Geoff

Geoff,

"Is the underlying communications model SNMP?" Yes

O.K. thanks for your answer and time. We must create "filtering rules"for SCOM manually with reference onto MIB from Cisco for UCCE.

Reference link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb437626.aspx

Once more thanks.

-marcel

But I don't think it will work like CUOM, CUOM can monitor the ICM components individually even number of calls and connection on ICM router, which side of PG is active or standby, which process is running or halted etc. etc.

Regards,

Mijanur Rahman

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: