Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP Dialer Outbound Option g.729

rhobab
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Has anyone had any experience with configuring the SIP Dialer for g.729? As far as I have seen the is no configuration on the dialer yet the service provider states that the dialer is trying to negotiate g.711 where as the whole IP telephony network is in g.729.

From the UCCE SRND it states that it is possible yet I am unable to configure it. We are using UCCE 8,5 and the dialer is dialing via a SIP Proxy.

All help apreciated

Victor

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Goran Selthofer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Victor,

Just to summarize our case for community here as well:

SIP dialer is only supported with TDM gateways. It is not supported with CUBE (one of the reasons is that CUBE is not able to do CPA)

Bill of materials, compatibility guide, says that SIP dialer is supported only with TDM gateways as it specifies that PVDM DSP card is required.

SCCP dialer has separate statement since it is SCCP and CUBE is SIP based though.

However, I do acknowledge the confusion so I filed CSCtr46083 against matrix and OTB guide to add that sentence specifically there as well for SIP dialer.

Thanks,

Goran

Cisco TAC

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Chad Stachowicz
Level 6
Level 6

codes are controlled by your regions in CUCM.  If you want to change the codecs give your dialer a device pool with a region of g.729 to all other regions with g.729..

You dialer will be .729 now...

Be advised it may use some transcoders!

Cheers, rate if it helps!

Chad

Hi Chad

I'm using a SIP dialer not a SCCP dialer. As far as I understand the dialer automatically dials via SIP proxy / gateway, I'm not sure the CUCM is involved here.

Thanks

Victor

Well.. if its to a proxy and then a gateway just change your codecs on the dial peers.  Remember SIP is ONLY a signaling protocol not a media protocol..

If you use CUCM instead of a proy negotiate on the regions on your Trunk in CUCM....

either way to configure the media path it has nothing to do with the SIP dialer that I know of, only the codes configured around the SIP dial peers / trunks.

Chad

Chad

The CUBE in this case belongs to the provider and he is telling me that the dialer is trying to negotiate g.711. Is this possible?

Thanks

Victor

Here is an excerpt slightly unrelated but proving my point... from the 8.0 upgrade guide...

"Only G.711 is supported for recordinig outbound calls.  Please configure g.711 on the voice gateway if you would like to record outbound calls"

This shows the configuration is done on the gateway... your providers Cube likely has voice class codecs or incorrect dial-peers accepting the dialer calls as g.711.

HTH,

Chad

Goran Selthofer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Victor,

Just to summarize our case for community here as well:

SIP dialer is only supported with TDM gateways. It is not supported with CUBE (one of the reasons is that CUBE is not able to do CPA)

Bill of materials, compatibility guide, says that SIP dialer is supported only with TDM gateways as it specifies that PVDM DSP card is required.

SCCP dialer has separate statement since it is SCCP and CUBE is SIP based though.

However, I do acknowledge the confusion so I filed CSCtr46083 against matrix and OTB guide to add that sentence specifically there as well for SIP dialer.

Thanks,

Goran

Cisco TAC

Hello Goran.

Thanks once again!

Obrigado

Victor