Views
Helpful
Replies

SPAN configue for recording.

renzil
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to have an on-demand recording for the agent phones. Does my CRS server need to have dual NIC for this configuration ?

Also does the 3560 switch support RSPAN ?

Brgds

Renzil

5 Replies 5

renzil
Level 1
Level 1

To add to the above post, the CRS server which will also be the monitoring server will be on the same 3560 switch as the agent desktops i.e same vlan.

Will dual NIC be needed on the CRS server in this secnario too ?

thanks

renzil

Traditionally the agent desktops are in a data VLAN, while the phones themselves are in a voice VLAN.

From your post it seems that the main NIC of the Voip monitor is in the data VLAN. To monitor voice packets you're really interested in sniffing the voice VLAN.

I've always implemented with a dual NIC approach. NIC1 goes on data VLAN and is my control interface ( that's what I use to VNC or web to the box).

NIC 2 I treat as a promiscious sniffer port and set it up in the Voice VLAN.

See Cisco's Best Practices:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/custcosw/ps1001/products_tech_note09186a008010e6ba.shtml#voice10

tgonter
Level 1
Level 1

Another important url to show you how to adjust registry corrctly to use NIC2 to sniff voice packets.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a00801a62a8.shtml

Hello.

If you followed the registry procedure in the 2nd doc that was posted do you have to do any manual (Windows) routing on the server side even if the monitor NIC doesn't have a default gateway?

Cheers,

NJ.

If I understood your question correctly, I would say no. You need an IP address assigned to the monitor NIC, but you don't need a gateway. The IP address doesn't really matter either, you just need any one in there. This is because the switchport going to the monitor NIC does not accept inbound traffic from the server (by default). When you set it up, if you do a sh int on that switchport, I believe it will show it as up/down (monitoring) or something like that.

I'm sure it was in the link, but make also sure that your monitor NIC connection is setup as last in the binding order.

Hope this helps,

Jim