Views
Helpful
Replies

UCCE - HW migration

MrCat
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,
I am  planning to upgrade HW servers hosting UCCE/CVP v12.0(1)  from UCS B200M4 to UCS B200M5 (no UCCE upgrade just hardware migration).
We are planning to do the cold copy of the VMs (shutdown the VMs and copy from old hardware to the new hardware).
The plan is to do one side at a time, 2-3 weeks apart.
Now the thing is that the system sides will be running on different hardware during the migration period, i.e. Side A will be running on UCS B200M4 while Side B will be running on UCS B200M5 for 2-3 weeks until side A completes the migration and moves to the similar UCS B200M5 hardware.
I wonder if there is any potential issues with this plan, besides possible performance issues related to different hardware (CPUs are actually both at 2.6Ghz) which are highly unlikely as even on old hardware load is very low.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

I could be mistaken but I believe Cisco requires the system to be on the same hardware for both sides. In your case it sounds like it will only be a couple weeks, but if you run into an issue requiring TAC support it might be a problem. Did this topic come up during your Cisco A2Q review?

I don't think A2Q is required for a HW migration.

I have things running just fine in the lab on whole bunch of different HW I have a mix of UCS B200 M3 and M4.

I think its should be ok. Worst case I'll move the migrated side back to the old hosts.

Having the same hardware is specifically mentioned in the upgrade guide, here's a snippet from the guide.

"Upgrade scenarios are considered at a component level; you can perform one type of upgrade on one component, and another type of upgrade on another component. However, the A and B side of any given component must be running on identical hardware."

Again, not saying it won't work, but if you reach out for support, that may be a red flag for them.

In light of this identical hardware statement, on each side A and B, can I have two different CUBE routers serving separate SIP trunks on UCCE? 
I.e.

- Side A has CUBE 4331 for SIP trunk 1 and CUBE 4431 for sip trunk 2.

- Side B has CUBE 4331 for SIP trunk 1 and CUBE 4431 for sip trunk 2.

logically it should be just fine as each CUBE pair serves its own sip trunk and both side A and B are on similar hardware within its own SIP trunk. 
thx

The hardware requirement about having the same is limited specifically to the CCE/CVP components as far as I know, you're OK with different CUBEs.
In your scenario though keep in mind you'll only be using one CUBE in each location if you're doing outbound option/dialer, unless you also deploy something like CUSP.