Views
Helpful
Replies

UCCE V9 to V11 Upgrade

mightyking
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Everyone,

Few years ago, I did a UCCE/CVP upgrade from version 8.5.3 to 9.0.4. Now, I am required to perform an upgrade from version 9 to 11.x.

Two questions:

1)Which version of 11 would you guys recommend?

2) Is there any difference in terms of step-by-step activities in upgrading from v8 to v9 versus v9 to v11?

Thanks,

MK

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

MK,

Your temporary server will simply have SQL Server 2008 R2 installed and the EDMT tool, you will not need anything else. On your AW/HDS server that's hosting 9.0, take a full backup of that _hds database. If you're doing the backup to somewhere local, make sure you have plenty of disk space. Once your backup is done, move the .bak file to your temporary server by using whatever means to move files across the network - a UNC path is what I usually do. Once your .bak file is on the temp server, open SQL Server 2008 R2 and restore the database using the same name. Once it's restored, run the 10.5 EDMT tool to update the database schema to 10.5 - select common ground when you're prompted. Once that's complete, make a backup of the 10.5 database (again, make sure you have plenty of space) and move it to the v11 server. Once on the v11 server, open SQL Server 2014 and restore the 10.5 database. Once restored, run the v11 EDMT tool (common ground)... and at the conclusion of it, you should have a database schema that's for version 11. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Omar Deen
Spotlight
Spotlight

1) Which version of 11 would you guys recommend?

Go with Maintenance Release 2 - 11.0(2)

2) Is there any difference in terms of step-by-step activities in upgrading from v8 to v9 versus v9 to v11?

Absolutely. You'll need update the database schema from 9.0 to 10.5 to 11, which means, you'll need a temporary workstation/server with SQL Server 2008 R2 so that you can restore the 9.0 database to it, run v10.5 EDMT, and then back that database up and move it over to your 11.0 server that should be running MS Windows Server 2012 R2 and SQL Server 2014 (SP1 is supported). Restore your 10.5 database to SQL Server 2014 and run v11.0 EDMT to update the database schema from 10.5 to 11. You'll end up doing this twice... the first time to build out the 11 environment and the second time when you're cutting over. 

If you have CVP apps, test those thoroughly...  

Thank you Omar,

I am getting a bit lost with the order of the procedure you mentioned.

Let's see if I understand well:

1) I run v10.5 EDMT from the temporary SQL server which contains the v9 database? My temp servers will be upgraded to 10.5.

2) I have already bulit a v11 MS Windows Server 2012 R2 and a SQL server 2014. How do I move the database v10.5 to v11 server? With EDMT v11?

Thanks,

MK

MK,

Your temporary server will simply have SQL Server 2008 R2 installed and the EDMT tool, you will not need anything else. On your AW/HDS server that's hosting 9.0, take a full backup of that _hds database. If you're doing the backup to somewhere local, make sure you have plenty of disk space. Once your backup is done, move the .bak file to your temporary server by using whatever means to move files across the network - a UNC path is what I usually do. Once your .bak file is on the temp server, open SQL Server 2008 R2 and restore the database using the same name. Once it's restored, run the 10.5 EDMT tool to update the database schema to 10.5 - select common ground when you're prompted. Once that's complete, make a backup of the 10.5 database (again, make sure you have plenty of space) and move it to the v11 server. Once on the v11 server, open SQL Server 2014 and restore the 10.5 database. Once restored, run the v11 EDMT tool (common ground)... and at the conclusion of it, you should have a database schema that's for version 11. 

Thanks Omar, I very much appreciate your help.

MK

MK,

There was a similar question asked a couple years ago, but it involved going from 7.5 to 9. The concept is the same if you want to check out the thread

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11966906/ucce-75-9-tech-refresh-sql-bak-vs-icmdba-vs-cgupgrade

This thread is really good Omar!

thank you,

MK