cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCNA Expiry

girrep
Level 1
Level 1

The CCNA certification is theoretically valid for 3 years. But is it the case in the real world. What I mean is, if I have have an "expired" CCNA cert, will employers view it as worthless or do they not care whether or not it is expired?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

hi @girrep its completely depends on the company. some companies need active certifications (for such as cisco partners specially) some companies needs knowledge only (but ccna certified). also you can do CCNP directly without CCNA now. if you plans.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

View solution in original post

Martin L
VIP
VIP

no, I would not worry about "expired" CCNA cert.  it still considered despite of it being expired. it also depends on your networking knowledge and memory. I mean you will be ok if u still remember CCNA level stuff.  You can put "expired" or "retired" next to your cert on your Resume.

Most importantly (significantly) expired or not counts for CCIE and CCDE level of certs. Those who employed valid CCIEs have special "gold" partners statues and privileges, which give you benefits when dealing with Cisco sells and service people. 

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

shaiksh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi @girrep its completely depends on the company. some companies need active certifications (for such as cisco partners specially) some companies needs knowledge only (but ccna certified). also you can do CCNP directly without CCNA now. if you plans.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Martin L
VIP
VIP

no, I would not worry about "expired" CCNA cert.  it still considered despite of it being expired. it also depends on your networking knowledge and memory. I mean you will be ok if u still remember CCNA level stuff.  You can put "expired" or "retired" next to your cert on your Resume.

Most importantly (significantly) expired or not counts for CCIE and CCDE level of certs. Those who employed valid CCIEs have special "gold" partners statues and privileges, which give you benefits when dealing with Cisco sells and service people. 

Regards, ML

Glad to hear from you Martin.

I have been hurt as my Cisco CCNA cert expired sometimes back, hard earned it and now looks useless.

Now i need to start all over again, i refuse and just learn what is new. For me is an expensive certification to do in Sub Sahara Africa compared to one in Europe and US.

Anyway i have learned a lesson, next time i will do better.

Tom San
Level 1
Level 1

My CCNA certificate was earned since 1999. There is no expiry date on the certificate. It is different from those Cisco certificate with expiry date. Even in the congratulations letter and Cisco Career Certifications Logo Usage Guidelines letter, they did not mention about expiry date ...

By the way, I agree to continue improving network knowledge but not limit to Cisco.
So I got other certificates like Aruba, Avaya, Checkpoint, Extreme Networks and Fortinet and will do Juniper and PaloAlto.

Regards, ML

Thanks for your reply. I have checked and the system says my certificate expired.

My point is : the recertification policy should not apply to those certificates issued before it's announcement in year 2000.

Cisco Announces Recertification Policy for Career-Certified Associates and Professionals :
https://newsroom.cisco.com/c/r/newsroom/en/us/a/y2000/m09/cisco-announces-recertification-policy-for-career-certified-associates-and-professionals.html