cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1000V no longer creates port groups in vCenter

mathew.goddard
Level 1
Level 1

(Bit of a newbie when it comes to 1000V. Apologies in advance if I'm using the wrong terminology.)

I have two separate 1000V environments and both worked perfectly up until a few days ago. Now, however, one of them has stopped syncing up with vCenter. Previously, when I created a port profile and entered the "state enabled" command, the port group would immediately appear in vCenter. Now, nothing.

If I do "show svs connections" I see the correct vCenter IP address, with config status "Enabled", operational status "Connected" and sync status "Complete". At this point I'm stumped!

Can anyone offer some troubleshooting suggestions so that I can get back on track? Naturally, I have new customers eager to 1000Vget up and running who are stuck without connectivity at this point.

6 Replies 6

mojafri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mathew,

I don't think you have used even a single incorrect terminology. Important is what changes were made? vCenter upgrade/ESXi upgrade/VEM or VSM upgrade

Could you please provide the below output? 

1. show module 

2. show svs connection 

3. show vms internal event-history errors | last 50 (where enabling the port-group)

4. show running-config port-profile <name>

In the mean time, please try below after getting above outputs: (No impact)

#config t
#svs connect <connection-name>
#no svs connect   ***let complete*
#show detail
#connect   *****to re-connect*
#show detail

Check this: https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuv97166/?reffering_site=dumpcr . I don't know what is the running version, so just suspecting above bug. 

Please rate if you find it helpful. 

Regards,

MJ 

Hi MJ, thanks for your reply.

Here's the output you requested: https://pastebin.com/dDhVYBh6

Note the failed part at the end where I tried to do 'svs connect <connection-name>'. I assumed the connection name was the 'VC01' part from the output of 'show svs connection'. Is that not the case?

Hi Mathew,

Sorry for delay response. I saw lot of soap error, lets re-initialize the connection b/w VC & N1kv. 

V13005NX1001(config)# svs connect VC01

V13005NX1001(config-svs-conn)# no connect 

*****Check the connection state ( show svs connections)***  

operational status: Disconnected

V13005NX1001(config-svs-conn)# connect 

*****Check the connection state ( show svs connections)***  

operational status: Connected
sync status: in progress

Regards,

MJ

Hi MJ,

I successfully disconnected/reconnected and now new port profiles are getting created in vCenter. However, I now seem to have another (related?) problem: new VLANs are only appearing on a couple of ESXi hosts.

vlan-only-on-some-hosts.png

To test, I created a new VLAN:

- vlan 2600

- name vlan-test

- state active

- no shutdown

Then I added it to the uplink port:

- port-profile HCS-UPLINK

- switchport trunk allowed vlan add 2600

Then I created a new port profile:

- port-profile type vethernet matt-test

- vmware port-group

- switchport mode access

- switchport access vlan 2600

- no shutdown

- state enabled

The port profile was created correctly in the switch and in vCenter, but as you can see from the above pic, vlan 2600 only appears on a couple of the hosts in the port list. I would expect it to show up on all of them.

Any ideas what's happening here?

Important is what changes were made? vCenter upgrade/ESXi upgrade/VEM or VSM upgrade 

I forgot to answer this: no changes have been made at all, as far as I'm aware. A week or so ago it worked just fine and now it no longer updates the vCenter.

After further testing and monitoring, the problem seems to be intermittent and not quite as simple as a new port-profile not being pushed out to the dvSwitch in vCenter.

For a recent port profile I created, I've discovered that only one of the ESXi hosts has its VLAN listed in the uplink port - i.e. if I click the uplink port andthen the 'Ports' tab, I can see the list of ports and associated ESXi hosts, VLAN IDs, etc., but the new VLAN associated with the new port-profile I created shows up on only one host.

Also, in general, the list of VLANs in that screen is quite different for the hosts, whereas I would expect every host to show the same VLANs (because they're all connected to the same vSwitch and, then, to the same 1000V switch).

I'm thoroughly confused at this point!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: