Views
Helpful
Replies

9K Nexus Switch Configuration HELP!

mmcfarland727
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to apply a NAT configuration for an individual internal IP to be NATed to another internal IP, that is connected to a third party firewall that is situated in our DMZ. The TP firewall in the DMZ is expecting traffic from a specific IP within the subnet that is connected to TP firewall. The server that is in the internal LAN is using the IP 10.4.2.220 and it needs to NAT to 10.170.2.53 when sending traffic to the TP firewall. Please see the diagram attached.

I have never used NAT before on the nexus switches so i am a bit unsure if the following config will work. Please can someone verify if the following is correct?

int vlan 170

ip nat outside

!
int vlan 2

ip nat inside

!

ip nat inside source static 10.4.2.220 10.170.2.53

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @mmcfarland727 

Yes, the configuration is good. You are basically translating inside local to inside global. It should work.

One thing you need to add according to config guide:

"If the translated IP is part of the outside interface subnet, then use the ip proxy-arp command on the NAT outside interface"

Reference: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/7-x/interfaces/configuration/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Interfaces_Configuration_Guide_7x/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Interfaces_Configuration_Guide_7x_chapter_0110...

Stay safe,

Sergiu

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @mmcfarland727 

Yes, the configuration is good. You are basically translating inside local to inside global. It should work.

One thing you need to add according to config guide:

"If the translated IP is part of the outside interface subnet, then use the ip proxy-arp command on the NAT outside interface"

Reference: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/7-x/interfaces/configuration/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Interfaces_Configuration_Guide_7x/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Interfaces_Configuration_Guide_7x_chapter_0110...

Stay safe,

Sergiu

mmcfarland727
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sergiu,

Thank you for your reply.

So, when traffic is destined from Server A to TP firewall it will NAT to 10.170.2.53. Any other traffic that server A transmits will not get NATed as long as it doesn't traverse vlan 170 outbound?

Also will no other IP in vlan 2 be NATEd as we have specified only 10.4.2.220 to be? It sounds obvious but i just want to confirm?

Thanks,

Yes and Yes.

Cheers,

Sergiu

mmcfarland727
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Sergiu, i really appreciate your input.

I get the following message when attempting to configure NAT on the relevant interface:

ERROR: NAT configuration Failed: aclqos: TCAM region is not configured. Please configure TCAM region and retry the command (err_id 0x410400C5)

It appears I have to allocate a TCAM region for NAT which also requires a reboot.

Once i have scheduled a maintenance window and configured the TCAM region, i will let you know how the NAT config goes.

Thanks again.

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That's true. You receive the error because by default no TCAM entries are allocated for the NAT feature.You'll need to adjust the TCAM (hardware access-list tcam region nat size).

Looking forward for the results of the config

Take care,

Sergiu

mmcfarland727
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sergiu,

Apologies for the late response, i have only just been able to reboot the network and get NAT enabled.

Unfortunately the NAT configuration has not worked, it doesn't appear to be NATing the relevant IP.

I have added the IP Proxy-arp command to the outside interface.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Thanks,

Mark

mmcfarland727
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sergiu,

The NAT configuration did work!!

The third party we are connecting to have confirmed they can see the relevant packets from the correct IP. When connecting to the URL i was getting a 404 error and thought it hadnt worked, but the TP have confirmed thats what is expected.

So thank you for taking the time to reply and help me with this configuration.

Much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark