Views
Helpful
Replies

Archive Configuration on Nexus93180 through another vrf than management

jeremytetart
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys, 

For archive configuration feature, is it possible to change the vrf management by another vrf ? 

The TFTP and FTP for this feature use VRF management. I have to use this feature but with another vrf for working. 

Regards.

5 Replies 5

Dawei
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Refer to the configuration guide for Archive:

The TFTP and FTP for this feature use VRF management.

Cisco Nexus 9000 Series NX-OS Fundamentals Configuration Guide, Release 7.x - Working with Configuration Files [Cisco Nexus 9000 Series Switches] - Cisco

But you can do the same work with the scheduler, it is more flexible and can use non-mangement VRF.

Creating a Scheduler Job

This example shows how to create a scheduler job that saves the running configuration to a file in the bootflash. The job then copies the file from the bootflash to a TFTP server (creates the filename using the current timestamp and switch name):

switch# configure terminal
switch(config)# scheduler job name backup-cfg
switch(config-job)# copy running-config tftp://1.2.3.4/$(SWITCHNAME)-cfg.$(TIMESTAMP) vrf management
switch(config-job)# end
switch(config)#

Scheduling a Scheduler Job

This example shows how to schedule a scheduler job called backup-cfg to run daily at 1 a.m.:

switch# configure terminal
switch(config)# scheduler schedule name daily
switch(config-if)# job name backup-cfg
switch(config-if)# time daily 1:00
switch(config-if)# end
switch(config)#

Cisco Nexus 9000 Series NX-OS System Management Configuration Guide, Release 7.x - Configuring the Scheduler [Cisco Nexus 9000 Series Switches] - Cisco

Hi Dawei, 

Thank you for your solution, but I'm facing an issue because the FTP server use account with credentials.

And it's seems that the command copy running-config ftp://ftpusername:ftpuserpassword@ftp-server/cisco-device/switches/$(SWITCHNAME)-conf.$(TIMESTAMP) doesn't work. 

Do you have a solution about this ? 

Regards.

It's not allowed to use login/password in this command. If manually transfer file to ftp you should use "copy running-config ftp://ftpusername@ftp-server/" , then type password manually. I couldn't find any way to use ftp for automation backup till now

Dawei
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Which version of switches are running, I tested this in my lab with 9.3.x and it works.

SW# copy running-config ftp://test:test@10.1.1.1/$(SWITCHNAME)-cfg.$(TIMESTAMP) vrf management

***** Transfer of file Completed Successfully *****
Copy complete, now saving to disk (please wait)...
Copy complete.

Another way is like this:

SW# terminal password test

SW# copy running-config ftp://test@10.1.1.1/$(SWITCHNAME)-cfg.$(TIMESTAMP) vrf management

Copy complete.

I tested on a physical Nexus switch, NX-OS 9.3.3. 

As below my test with login/pwd and without login/pwd :

First test : the login or pwd are incorrect but I verified, i'm connected with the same account to the ftp server so the credentials are OK.

Second test : I received an error (can't access file) I don't know what the error occurs. 

SW01# sh version | i NXOS
NXOS: version 9.3(3)
NXOS image file is: bootflash:///nxos.9.3.3.bin
NXOS compile time: 12/22/2019 2:00:00 [12/22/2019 15:00:37]

SW01# copy running-config ftp://login:password@192.168.1.10/$(SWITCHNAME)-cfg.$(TIMESTAMP) vrf admin
Login or password incorrect!
Login failed.
Please log in with USER and PASS first.
***** Transfer of file aborted, Login failed*****
***** Transfer of file aborted *****

SW01# copy running-config ftp://192.168.1.10/$(SWITCHNAME)-cfg.$(TIMESTAMP) vrf admin
Enter username: test
Password:
can't access file.

Copy complete.

On the FTP side, I receive a empty file with the second test. 

If you have any idea about this issue ? 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card