cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EVPN and VRFs

velo84
Level 1
Level 1

Looking into using EVPN by watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9k9_hRdrGc

In a very simple topology (6 switches) What is the easiest way to setup EVPN with Anycast Gateway when it comes to the VRF (tenant) aspect? I have one network (all my own equipment) and don't require multi-tenant architecture. Is there a way to configure it without VRFs or could you put everything on the switches in one VRF e.g. Global? I think there are limitations to the number of Layer3 gateways you can have per VRF though? (one I think)

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Christopher Hart
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello!

VXLAN BGP EVPN requires at least one tenant VRF to be configured in order to work as expected. Even in a single-tenant environment wherein multi-tenant architecture is not needed, all hosts within a single tenant must be connected to a VXLAN defined within a unique tenant VRF, which cannot be the global/default VRF. This is covered in detail in the VXLAN Network with MP-BGP EVPN Control Plane Design Guide.

If this is your first foray into VXLAN BGP EVPN, I highly recommend picking up a copy of Cisco Press' Building Data Centers with VXLAN BGP EVPN. It's an excellent guide that can take you from zero to hero for VXLAN BGP EVPN!

I hope this helps - thank you!

-Christopher

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Christopher Hart
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello!

VXLAN BGP EVPN requires at least one tenant VRF to be configured in order to work as expected. Even in a single-tenant environment wherein multi-tenant architecture is not needed, all hosts within a single tenant must be connected to a VXLAN defined within a unique tenant VRF, which cannot be the global/default VRF. This is covered in detail in the VXLAN Network with MP-BGP EVPN Control Plane Design Guide.

If this is your first foray into VXLAN BGP EVPN, I highly recommend picking up a copy of Cisco Press' Building Data Centers with VXLAN BGP EVPN. It's an excellent guide that can take you from zero to hero for VXLAN BGP EVPN!

I hope this helps - thank you!

-Christopher

Thank you Christopher, this helps thanks. I will purchase the book.

One more question, if I have a collapsed model (only one pair of switches at each site) How will communication work between the VXLAN and non-VXLAN vlans on the switch? Are you able to point me in the direction of where that is documented or if it's even possible on the same pair of switches?

EDIT:

That link is actually very good reading. There is a section about the border leafs so in theory all my switches can just act like border leafs (participate in EVPN fabric as well as functioning as a border leaf for external connectivity)

Thanks