Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EVPN Multihoming (ESI-LAG)

Hi all,

we want to build a spine and leaf topology with EVPN. Our leaf switches are Nexus 93180YC-EX and we would like to implement a multihoming solution for our servers. We know vPC is supported but we would like to go for ESI-LAG (EVPN Multihoming) due to its flexibility and no need for leaf interconnects (VPC peer links).

Unfortunately Cisco's documentation says: "... EVPN Multihoming is supported on the Cisco Nexus 9300 platform switches only. It is not supported on the Cisco Nexus 9200, 9300-EX, FX/FXP/FX2, /FX3, 9300-GX, and 9500 platform switches..."

Are there any news regarding this constrain? Has anyone tried it?

Any input is welcome.

Best regards,

Michael

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Never tested the ESI based multi-homing, but I suppose it is supported only on Gen1 switches (non-EX/FX/FX2 etc) simply because these are the only switches with merchant ASIC (Broadcom). All the other switches are with Cisco Cloud Scale ASICs.

Also, I would like to let you know that VPC can now be configured with peer-link over fabric. Something like this:

Screenshot 2021-12-23 101336.png

Picture taken from: DGTL-BRKDCN-2249 ciscolive presentation.

Config guide: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/92x/vxlan-92x/configuration/guide/b-cisco-nexus-9000-series-nx-os-vxlan-configuration-guide-92x/b-cisco-nexus-9000-series-nx-os-vxlan-configuration-guide-92x_chapter_011000.html  

Stay safe,

Sergiu

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Never tested the ESI based multi-homing, but I suppose it is supported only on Gen1 switches (non-EX/FX/FX2 etc) simply because these are the only switches with merchant ASIC (Broadcom). All the other switches are with Cisco Cloud Scale ASICs.

Also, I would like to let you know that VPC can now be configured with peer-link over fabric. Something like this:

Screenshot 2021-12-23 101336.png

Picture taken from: DGTL-BRKDCN-2249 ciscolive presentation.

Config guide: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/92x/vxlan-92x/configuration/guide/b-cisco-nexus-9000-series-nx-os-vxlan-configuration-guide-92x/b-cisco-nexus-9000-series-nx-os-vxlan-configuration-guide-92x_chapter_011000.html  

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Hi Sergiu,

many thanks! Never heard about vPC with fabric peering - until now

This could be the compromise we've been looking for.

Happy holidays,

Michael

Happy to know it helps! Consider it a Christmas present ^_^

Thank you and happy holidays to you too!

Sergiu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: