Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EVPN Multihoming (ESI-LAG)

Hi all,

we want to build a spine and leaf topology with EVPN. Our leaf switches are Nexus 93180YC-EX and we would like to implement a multihoming solution for our servers. We know vPC is supported but we would like to go for ESI-LAG (EVPN Multihoming) due to its flexibility and no need for leaf interconnects (VPC peer links).

Unfortunately Cisco's documentation says: "... EVPN Multihoming is supported on the Cisco Nexus 9300 platform switches only. It is not supported on the Cisco Nexus 9200, 9300-EX, FX/FXP/FX2, /FX3, 9300-GX, and 9500 platform switches..."

Are there any news regarding this constrain? Has anyone tried it?

Any input is welcome.

Best regards,

Michael

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Never tested the ESI based multi-homing, but I suppose it is supported only on Gen1 switches (non-EX/FX/FX2 etc) simply because these are the only switches with merchant ASIC (Broadcom). All the other switches are with Cisco Cloud Scale ASICs.

Also, I would like to let you know that VPC can now be configured with peer-link over fabric. Something like this:

Screenshot 2021-12-23 101336.png

Picture taken from: DGTL-BRKDCN-2249 ciscolive presentation.

Config guide: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/92x/vxlan-92x/configuration/guide/b-cisco-nexus-9000-series-nx-os-vxlan-configuration-guide-92x/b-cisco-nexus-9000-series-nx-os-vxlan-configuration-guide-92x_chapter_011000.html  

Stay safe,

Sergiu

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Never tested the ESI based multi-homing, but I suppose it is supported only on Gen1 switches (non-EX/FX/FX2 etc) simply because these are the only switches with merchant ASIC (Broadcom). All the other switches are with Cisco Cloud Scale ASICs.

Also, I would like to let you know that VPC can now be configured with peer-link over fabric. Something like this:

Screenshot 2021-12-23 101336.png

Picture taken from: DGTL-BRKDCN-2249 ciscolive presentation.

Config guide: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/92x/vxlan-92x/configuration/guide/b-cisco-nexus-9000-series-nx-os-vxlan-configuration-guide-92x/b-cisco-nexus-9000-series-nx-os-vxlan-configuration-guide-92x_chapter_011000.html  

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Hi Sergiu,

many thanks! Never heard about vPC with fabric peering - until now

This could be the compromise we've been looking for.

Happy holidays,

Michael

Happy to know it helps! Consider it a Christmas present ^_^

Thank you and happy holidays to you too!

Sergiu