Views
Helpful
Replies

FabricPath move multidestination tree root

Olle Johansson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I have googled and searched the forums hi and low and I have not found the answer. If someone already has answered this please let me know.

We have a network with 8x N5k switches (4 pairs). 2 of them acts as spine and the rest are leaf’s with fexs.

My problem is that in the beginning multidestination root tree priority where not set so the newest leaf pair are tree root.

When change the priority values on spine switches, will it disrupt the traffic or will the root change smoothly?

Thankful for all help!

Regards Olle

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rajeshkumar Gatti
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

There will be disruption for BUM traffic (broadcast, unknown unicast, multicast)  traversing the tree for which the new leaf is the root (FTAG 1 or FTAG 2) assuming default single FP topology.

I cannot quantify the exact seconds of the loss but from my own experience in the field it has been less than 30 seconds. Unicast traffic should not be affected since the forwarding of traffic is based on the ECMP feature of L2 ISIS.

-Raj

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rajeshkumar Gatti
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

There will be disruption for BUM traffic (broadcast, unknown unicast, multicast)  traversing the tree for which the new leaf is the root (FTAG 1 or FTAG 2) assuming default single FP topology.

I cannot quantify the exact seconds of the loss but from my own experience in the field it has been less than 30 seconds. Unicast traffic should not be affected since the forwarding of traffic is based on the ECMP feature of L2 ISIS.

-Raj

Thank for that answer!

It really helped me in my planing