cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to migrate N5K to N9K

ciscomdsmagic
Level 1
Level 1

We have one pair of N5K's and planning on migrating them to a pair of N9K's.

I am not Network engineer, but I am seeking for steps to migration without downtime, as detail as possible.

What I can think of is that join these two N9K's in fabrics first, then move one cable connection from N5K to N9K at one time, is that a good approach?

Thanks in advance!

2 Replies 2

nazimkha
Level 4
Level 4
Migration approach may vary on the existing design and requirement.
Assuming if we have the Nexus 5K pair in vPC, uplinked to the core via vPC or by layer 2 trunks to the core switch, we can migrate it to Nexus 9K by building a vPC and uplinking it to the core and than migrating the servers and other devices off the Nexus 5K. Although it all depends on how is the current setup

If you have hosts that are dual homed and you are using vPC to those hosts, do not try and move one cable at a time to the new 9k's. That will not work. You can certainly build them in parallel, copy the port configs over then move servers. Watch out for vPC domain numbers and spanning tree stuff.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: