Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing license failed: License server does not support this feature

sejelmohajj
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I am getting below Error when installing licesnes in our Cisco NS-OS Switch 9300. 

sw9300# install license bootflash://s

bootflash://sup-1/       bootflash://sup-active/  bootflash://sup-local/  

sw9300# install license bootflash://sup-local/?

bootflash://sup-local/.patch                              

bootflash://sup-local/.rpmstore                            

bootflash://sup-local/20170406_071343_poap_15414_init.log 

bootflash://sup-local/MDS201811150906500010.lic           

bootflash://sup-local/home                                

bootflash://sup-local/license_FDO20380BKS_3.lic            

bootflash://sup-local/lost+found                          

bootflash://sup-local/nxos.7.0.3.I4.2.bin                 

bootflash://sup-local/nxos.7.0.3.I7.5a.bin                

bootflash://sup-local/scripts                             

bootflash://sup-local/show-tech-Leaf-I.txt.gz             

bootflash://sup-local/virtual-instance                    

sw9300# install license bootflash://sup-local/MDS201811150906500010.lic

sw9300# install license bootflash://sup-active/MDS201811150906500010.lic

sw9300#

Appreciate team Support to resolve this

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

mojafri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Have you changed it from ACI to NXOS? If yes, please check this: https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvk62202/?reffering_site=dumpcr

What is the exact model?

Please rate if you find it helpful.

Regards,
MJ

View solution in original post

Yes we changed it from ACI to NX-OS .
You mean i can use all Features avaliable without installing any licenses , please confirm...

Hi @sejelmohajj,

Yes, 9K are honor-based so even if you don't have the license installed, you can still use whatever features you want.  It might display a message warning as below, but that is not actually stopping you from configuring.

switch(config)# 2018 Sep 12 08:45:07 switch %$ VDC-1 %$ clis[28226]: !!!!!!  WARNING: 'LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG' LICENSE NOT FOUND ON THE SYSTEM  !!!!!!. You have tried to enable a licensed feature [eigrp] without installing the 'LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG' license, which has not been found on the system. 

2018 Sep 12 08:45:07 switch %$ VDC-1 %$ clis[28226]: System supports honor based license.Feature will be enabled and fully functional.License usage for feature will appear after license install and  a reload. 

If this was from ACI, "#show license file MDS201811150906500010.lic" should show

license name: ACI-ES-XF

Note:  ACI-ES-XF license can be used for both NX-OS and ACI mode: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/licensing/guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide_chapter_01.html

Tier-Based Licenses

Beginning with Cisco NX-OS Release 7.0(3)I7(3), tier-based licensing is available for Cisco Nexus 9300, 9300-EX, 9300-FX/FX2/FXP, and 9500 platform switches. This licensing model applies to both Cisco Application Centric Infrastructure (ACI) and NX-OS standalone architectures where Cisco Nexus 9000 Series switches can be deployed. For the remaining Cisco Nexus platforms, we offer only the NX-OS standalone feature set. For these switches, see Feature-Based Licenses< https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/licensing/guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide_chapter_01.html#concept_A21339E151D445DE858588C4664277A0>;.
Tier-based licensing offers the following benefits:

* Consistency across ACI and NX-OS licensing
* A choice between perpetual or subscription-based licenses
* The simplicity of being able to purchase a group of feature licenses in one of two packages: Essentials or Advantage

Bug https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvk62202/?reffering_site=dumpcr is fixed in 9.2 nxos release. From 9.2 you should not see this error while installing "ACI-ES-XF" license.

Regards,

MJ

I had a similar issue. It turned out that the license that was sent to me included features that were not available because of my switch configuration. I was using the switch in NX-OS mode but the license also included ACI features. By removing the ACI features the license was able to be installed. Here is my example:

License file

SERVER this_host ANY
VENDOR cisco
INCREMENT LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG cisco 1.0 permanent uncounted \
VENDOR_STRING=<LIC_SOURCE>MDS_SWIFT</LIC_SOURCE><SKU>N93-LAN1K9=</SKU> \
HOSTID=VDH=XXXXXX \
NOTICE="<LicFileID>xxxxxx</LicFileID><LicLineID>1</LicLineID> \
<PAK></PAK>" SIGN=xxxxxxx
INCREMENT LAN_BASE_SERVICES_PKG cisco 1.0 permanent uncounted \
VENDOR_STRING=<LIC_SOURCE>MDS_SWIFT</LIC_SOURCE><SKU>N93-BAS1K9</SKU> \
HOSTID=VDH=XXXXXXX \
NOTICE="<LicFileID>xxxxxxx</LicFileID><LicLineID>2</LicLineID> \
<PAK></PAK>" SIGN=xxxxxx

I removed everything after the increment and installed the following:

SERVER this_host ANY
VENDOR cisco
HOSTID=VDH=XXXXXX \

I removed any identifying markers from the file so your actual license file will not have the "xxxxx". If your file only contains:

SERVER this_host ANY
VENDOR cisco
INCREMENT NXOS_ESSENTIALS_XF cisco 1.0 permanent uncounted \

then you should be ok when using it on NXOS platform.

5 Replies 5

mojafri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Have you changed it from ACI to NXOS? If yes, please check this: https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvk62202/?reffering_site=dumpcr

What is the exact model?

Please rate if you find it helpful.

Regards,
MJ

Yes we changed it from ACI to NX-OS .
You mean i can use all Features avaliable without installing any licenses , please confirm...

Hi @sejelmohajj,

Yes, 9K are honor-based so even if you don't have the license installed, you can still use whatever features you want.  It might display a message warning as below, but that is not actually stopping you from configuring.

switch(config)# 2018 Sep 12 08:45:07 switch %$ VDC-1 %$ clis[28226]: !!!!!!  WARNING: 'LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG' LICENSE NOT FOUND ON THE SYSTEM  !!!!!!. You have tried to enable a licensed feature [eigrp] without installing the 'LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG' license, which has not been found on the system. 

2018 Sep 12 08:45:07 switch %$ VDC-1 %$ clis[28226]: System supports honor based license.Feature will be enabled and fully functional.License usage for feature will appear after license install and  a reload. 

If this was from ACI, "#show license file MDS201811150906500010.lic" should show

license name: ACI-ES-XF

Note:  ACI-ES-XF license can be used for both NX-OS and ACI mode: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/licensing/guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide_chapter_01.html

Tier-Based Licenses

Beginning with Cisco NX-OS Release 7.0(3)I7(3), tier-based licensing is available for Cisco Nexus 9300, 9300-EX, 9300-FX/FX2/FXP, and 9500 platform switches. This licensing model applies to both Cisco Application Centric Infrastructure (ACI) and NX-OS standalone architectures where Cisco Nexus 9000 Series switches can be deployed. For the remaining Cisco Nexus platforms, we offer only the NX-OS standalone feature set. For these switches, see Feature-Based Licenses< https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/licensing/guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide_chapter_01.html#concept_A21339E151D445DE858588C4664277A0>;.
Tier-based licensing offers the following benefits:

* Consistency across ACI and NX-OS licensing
* A choice between perpetual or subscription-based licenses
* The simplicity of being able to purchase a group of feature licenses in one of two packages: Essentials or Advantage

Bug https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvk62202/?reffering_site=dumpcr is fixed in 9.2 nxos release. From 9.2 you should not see this error while installing "ACI-ES-XF" license.

Regards,

MJ

Thanks, We are using below models
ciscoNexusC93180YC-EX
ciscoNexusC93180YC-EX
cisco Nexus9000 C93108TC-EX
cisco Nexus9000 C9504
cisco Nexus9000 C9504
cisco Nexus9000 C9504
cisco Nexus9000 C9504
cisco Nexus9000 93180YC-EX
cisco Nexus9000 93180YC-EX

I had a similar issue. It turned out that the license that was sent to me included features that were not available because of my switch configuration. I was using the switch in NX-OS mode but the license also included ACI features. By removing the ACI features the license was able to be installed. Here is my example:

License file

SERVER this_host ANY
VENDOR cisco
HOSTID=VDH=XXXXXX \
INCREMENT LAN_BASE_SERVICES_PKG cisco 1.0 permanent uncounted \
VENDOR_STRING=<LIC_SOURCE>MDS_SWIFT</LIC_SOURCE><SKU>N93-BAS1K9</SKU> \
HOSTID=VDH=XXXXXXX \
NOTICE="<LicFileID>xxxxxxx</LicFileID><LicLineID>2</LicLineID> \
<PAK></PAK>" SIGN=xxxxxx

I removed everything after the increment and installed the following:

SERVER this_host ANY
VENDOR cisco
HOSTID=VDH=XXXXXX \

I removed any identifying markers from the file so your actual license file will not have the "xxxxx". If your file only contains:

SERVER this_host ANY
VENDOR cisco
INCREMENT NXOS_ESSENTIALS_XF cisco 1.0 permanent uncounted \

then you should be ok when using it on NXOS platform.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: