Views
Helpful
Replies

Limit SNMP polling to specific MIBs

AlexFer
Level 1
Level 1

Hello experts,

I wish to limit polling by specific SNMP manager to specific MIBs on switch’s SNMP Agent.

I was hoping to find something that will associate a set of MIBs with a Community, so, any SNMP polls specifying that Community value would be limited to those MIBs. However, I’ve not found configuration for such mapping.

What’s the recommend method to achieve this?

R’s, Alex 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

julian.bendix
Level 3
Level 3

Hey!

On Cisco IOS (and IOS-XE) there is a feature called SNMP Views, which allow you to easily configure exactly what you need.
You create a view and just limit it to a few certain OIDs, then assign it to a SNMP Community or a SNMP User.

Unfortunately there is no such thing in NX-OS.

In NX-OS you can create custom roles to achive the same though, you then give the Role to certain SNMP users..

See NX-OS RBAC Config Guide:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/configuration/guide/cli_rel_4_0_1a/CLIConfigurationGuide/sec_rbac.html#71793

Example creating a role and then denying access to certain OIDs:

role name SNMP-READ-VIEW-1
rule 1 permit read feature snmp
rule 2 deny read oid <OID>

Let me know if that helped..

Best regards
Juls

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

julian.bendix
Level 3
Level 3

Hey!

On Cisco IOS (and IOS-XE) there is a feature called SNMP Views, which allow you to easily configure exactly what you need.
You create a view and just limit it to a few certain OIDs, then assign it to a SNMP Community or a SNMP User.

Unfortunately there is no such thing in NX-OS.

In NX-OS you can create custom roles to achive the same though, you then give the Role to certain SNMP users..

See NX-OS RBAC Config Guide:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/configuration/guide/cli_rel_4_0_1a/CLIConfigurationGuide/sec_rbac.html#71793

Example creating a role and then denying access to certain OIDs:

role name SNMP-READ-VIEW-1
rule 1 permit read feature snmp
rule 2 deny read oid <OID>

Let me know if that helped..

Best regards
Juls

AlexFer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Juls,

thank you.

Is "rule" permitting "feature snmp" really needed?

R's, Alex

Hey!

Yes as far as I know you need it, this role will then have no access except to the SNMP Process.

Let me know what you think.

Best regards
Juls