Helpful
Replies

Log Msgs on VSM

james21970
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all -

So i'm getting these log messages repeatedly:

2012 Oct  8 07:01:17 vsm-01 %VMS-5-CONN_CONNECT: Connection 'vcenter' connected to the vCenter Server.

2012 Oct  8 07:01:17 vsm-01 %VMS-5-CONN_DISCONNECT: Connection 'vcenter' disconnected from the vCenter Server.

2012 Oct  8 07:04:17 vsm-01 %VMS-5-CONN_CONNECT: Connection 'vcenter' connected to the vCenter Server.

2012 Oct  8 07:04:17 vsm-01 %VMS-5-CONN_DISCONNECT: Connection 'vcenter' disconnected from the vCenter Server.

2012 Oct  8 07:07:16 vsm-01 %VMS-5-CONN_CONNECT: Connection 'vcenter' connected to the vCenter Server.

2012 Oct  8 07:07:17 vsm-01 %VMS-5-CONN_DISCONNECT: Connection 'vcenter' disconnected from the vCenter Server.

2012 Oct  8 07:10:16 vsm-01 %VMS-5-CONN_CONNECT: Connection 'vcenter' connected to the vCenter Server.

2012 Oct  8 07:10:16 vsm-01 %VMS-5-CONN_DISCONNECT: Connection 'vcenter' disconnected from the vCenter Server.

2012 Oct  8 07:13:16 vsm-01 %VMS-5-CONN_CONNECT: Connection 'vcenter' connected to the vCenter Server.

2012 Oct  8 07:13:16 vsm-01 %VMS-5-CONN_DISCONNECT: Connection 'vcenter' disconnected from the vCenter Server.

i've searched and dug as much as I could and the troubleshooting guide basically asks you to run the command to 'show svs connections', which I do, and it shows as not connected when i enter the command:

connection vcenter:

ip address: x.x.x.x

remote port: 80

protocol: vmware-vim https

certificate: default

datacenter name: xxxxx

admin:  

max-ports: 8192

DVS uuid: -

config status: Enabled

operational status: Disconnected

sync status: -

version: -

vc-uuid: -

I'm not having any config push problems, and when we create a new veth port-profile for a cust, it immediately appears in vCenter just like always. No customers are reporting any problems, and our lead on the VM and server side sees no error messages in vCenter that would indicate a problem.

Any Ideas?

system image file is:bootflash:/nexus-1000v-mz.4.2.1.SV1.5.1.bin
  system compile time: 1/30/2012 17:00:00 [01/30/2012 21:49:49]
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Your disconnects are almost exactly 3mins apart.

Check the following:

-"show core" on the VSM - see if there are any crashed processes

-using "show sys red status"  about 4 mins apart, see if the active/standby role is flapping between your primary & seoconday VSM.

Where is the VSM's datastore?  On a local server or shared LUN?

Regards,

Robert

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Your disconnects are almost exactly 3mins apart.

Check the following:

-"show core" on the VSM - see if there are any crashed processes

-using "show sys red status"  about 4 mins apart, see if the active/standby role is flapping between your primary & seoconday VSM.

Where is the VSM's datastore?  On a local server or shared LUN?

Regards,

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply. So, checking what you mentioned, I have:

vsm-01# sho cores

Module-num       Instance-num      Process-name     PID      Core-create-time

----------       ------------      ------------     ---      ----------------

2                1                vms               3683     May 8 04:29

2                1                vms               6883     Jul 5 08:32

2                1                vms               10531    Sep 1 13:50

and with the redundancy, I checked this over that time frame, and no flaps. The datastore is on a LUN.

Thanks,

James

All -

I Just wanted to update this in case anyone else had any issues similar to this. A while back, we deployed another instance of a VSM in another goegraphically seperate DC. When we did, we believe that that particular VSM's configuration was slightly different from the one mentioned above with regard to the datacenter name under SVS connections. I had found in one of the deeper log files that the VSM mentioned above was telling me that the DC we had defined under SVS  didn't exist. We dug through the MOB and sure enough found that the DC name was different. The new name matched the name we used when we deployed our latest instance of the VSM, and the name we used when deploying the VSM this post starts off with didn't match that.

We looked back through our captures (we video capture our more complex deployments) and as best as we can figure, the DC name was updated by the last VSM we deployed because our capture show that name as being defined when we were deploying that instance. This was news to us as we were'nt aware that deploying a VSM would update the DC name in the MOB.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU! for posting your solution. Your solution was a tremendous help to me in finding a solution to a similar issue I was having!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: