description Channel Uplink Access to VLAN1601
  vmware port-group
  switchport mode access
  switchport access vlan 1601
  channel-group auto mode on mac-pinning
  no shutdown
  state enabled

!

When this port profile is associated to a vmnic the port-channel in created automatically with an auto number.

Is it possible to force the po number to vmnics ? Let's assume that I'd like to have all PO from VEM4 starting with PO4x ?

3 Replies 3

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Currently the Port Channel #'s are sequentially assigned during creation.  They do not inherit the vmnic # (unlike the Sub group IDs when using MAC pinning).

If you want administrative control over the assignment of PC numbering you can manually create them instead.  This of course adds a great deal of manual overhead & greater chance for error.  Best practice is to let the system assign the PC#.

Regards,

Robert

Thank's for reply ...

I must use MAC-pinning because I'm connecting vmnic1 and vmnic 2 to different switch (Cat2660) therefore the only possibibility is MAC-pinning that require auto mode isn't ?

You could use the auto "sub-group cdp" option, but MAC Pinning is doing the same thing, and is a better option (doesn't rely on CDP timers which could delay link up) and doesn't require CDP for that matter on the upstream switches (in case of non-Cisco switches or those with CDP disabled).

Robert